Fam

Amelia Ford P.O.V
September 21st

"Fuck you been Amelia?" Montae snapped at me as we sat in my mother's driveway.

"I've been working and over Lauren's." I explained myself to him as he searched my phone for something to be angry over. My eyes scanned the torn leather seats under my skinny jeans.

"Didn't I tell you about going the fuck over there?"

"Yes." I mumbled under my breath not trying to piss him off more than he already was. After picking me up from school he said he would take me to change and drop me off.

"So why the fuck you over there?" he said holding my phone up to see the picture Lauren sent me of us in pajamas.

"I was hanging with Lauren."

"Was her brother there."

"Sometimes he is," I admitted even though I knew he wouldn't be the happiest with my answer but I knew he knew.

Smack!!

Holding my left cheek that stung from being slapped for nothing.

"You and this hoe friendship over. You think she cares about you she ain't got your best interest. You know I could beat your fat ass I'm being gentle with your stupid ass. Let that hoe get your ass beat if you want to. I should beat your ass just for this picture you sneaky ass hoe. Go get some clothes you staying with me tonight." Waving me off I got out of the car to get change for work in my black pants with my work shirt and slip-resistant shoes. Making sure my hair was right me and Lauren went and got braids together I got a ponytail and she got small knotless bohemian box braids. Picking my hat and bag up headed back out the door.

"You need to quit this stupid ass job." Montae said cracking the window of the car.

"She works at fucking Arby's down there by Jeff." He told someone on the phone.

"I'll bring it in a few minutes chill out." I can't wait until I have enough money for a car and an apartment but in this economy, I'll be saving forever. Seeing the mail truck I got out of the car and going to the mailbox. Noticing a few bills addressed to my mother and a letter to me taking the mail inside the house coming out to find him still on the phone. Opening the letter as he spoke to someone.

"I gotcha damn."He fussed reversing the car around headed a few minutes down the road until we reached my job.

"You want to speak to her since we going to be co-parenting with her." Making him giggle before hanging up the phone.  Scanning over the paper from someone named Clifford and Louise Thornton who claimed to be family on my dad's side. Even though I didn't know much about him. 

"What's that?"

"A letter."

"From who?" Taking the paper from my hands before I could keep reading the paper to see what they wanted from me. Passing me back my paper to continue reading my eyes scanned over the cursive writing.

Dear Amelia;

Hello darling this is your grandfather on your father's side of the family we have been trying to get in touch with you for years. Your grandmother is sick and we getting older we would like to meet you before we pass on. My eldest son
Kadeem will be back in Atlanta in about a month I plan to drive up with him and I want to meet you while I'm up here. And we could get together I can bring pictures of your father and of our family but we would like to meet. We have been waiting a long time to meet you but me and your uncle would love to meet you. My number is 761-627-7658.
You should be old enough to make your own decisions now and we are hoping you will come to meet us. Call me and let me know, please.
Your grandfather Clifford.