𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒂𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑭𝒊𝒓𝒆 - 𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈

"Can anyone tell me why the Hunger Games were made?" Professor Cyress asked, pacing across the room. Her heels clacked across the marble, echoing in the vast room.

The students glanced at each other, no hands going up. The Professor tsked walking up the steps that separated the students. "Surely, after living for 18 years in the Capitol, someone would know."

A shy, black-haired boy slowly raised his hand, "It was to keep the districts in control."

"That is correct, but what else?"

Snickers filled the room as Prong slowly lowered his hand, embarrassed. He looked around, hoping someone would stick up for him but no one did. He looked into his brother's dark brown eyes like his own. Ash quickly looked away, not giving a response to his brother's look.

"Since none of you can answer my question, it seems that you haven't learned anything. Class dismissed today. When you go home, I want you to write me a five-page essay on why the Hunger Games started and its purpose."

The whole class groaned as they packed their textbooks into their bags. Ash and Prong fell into step together, exiting the academy.

"Great way to make us write papers," Ash grumbled, shoving an elbow into Prong's side.

"I took the fall, I don't know why you're mad. It's better than writing a ten-pager like last time." Prong said, rubbing his side.

"What would we even write about? The districts didn't even do anything, they're just fighting for what is right."

Prong looked at his brother, "Ash! Don't say that, especially not here!"

"Grow up, Prong, just because you're the youngest doesn't mean we'll always protect you. Speak your mind. The districts did nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong with saying that."

"The Capitol saved us, Ash! Don't ever say that!"

Ash stared in disbelief, "Has father not taught you anything about what the Capitol did? Unbelievable!"

"Whatever," Prong said, rolling his eyes. He watched his brother run past him to his friend, leaving him alone.

"Don't worry, Prong," Dawn said, running up to catch him. "He's just mad about what happened to the last Hunger Games."

"The one with Coriolanus Snow?" Prong asked. 'The disastrous Hunger Games' is what the Professor had called the last year's game. After Lucy Gray and Coriolanus Snow had entered the Hunger Games it went down from there. Dean Highbottom had even quit after.

"Oh well, I don't care but I want to be a mentor next year!" Dawn said, excitedly.

"That's even if they do it," Prong said with a shrug.

"Don't say that!" Dawn said, pushing playfully Prong off the sidewalk and into the grass.

Parents and children looked up as the disturbance in the perfect society rippled quickly.

"I slipped," Prong said, laughing it off. Society then seemed to resume again.

Ash pushed past him running back to the academy. "I forgot my bag! Prong, go home and get supper ready!"

Prong nodded and continued down the road.

"Your brother's so strange," Dawn whispered, leaning in.

"What do you mean?" Prong said, looking up.

"Isn't your brother like a... rebel supporter?"

"What?" Prong stopped in his tracks. "Why would you stay that?"

"Your brother isn't secretive about what he thinks, you know," Dawn said, walking faster, nervously. "But I got to go, nice talking to you Prong."

Ash ran into the academy, needing to grab his bag. He slowed down, nodding to the professors who gave him weird looks.

"Mr. Collard," A voice said flatly. "Surprise seeing you back here after I finished my lecture. This is a first."

"Professor Cyress!" Ash said, plastering a smile on his face. "I was just about to grab my bags, very busy day!"

"Mr. Collard, you see your grades are-"

A sudden heat engulfed Ash's skin as he ran. I'm on fire? Shrieks filled the academy as one by one faculty fell victim to the flames. At least I'm still-

All of a sudden a boom shook the academy, smoke filling the evening sky. Debris flew everywhere, landing on people lying down in the park. Prong turned around, faced with the sudden blast of fire. "Ash? Ash!"

A hand held him back, a hand belonging to Dawn, face full of shock. "Don't Prong, it's just fire!"

Prong slapped her hand away, running closer to where people had started to gather at the foot of the academy. "Ash!"

Peacekeepers held him back, daring him to pass them with their guns. "My brother's in there! You need to go get him!"

Tears clouded his vision and the peacekeepers glanced at each other.

"Orders to commence?" A peacekeeper said to the commander.

The commander hesitantly nodded, "Dean Dovecote says to find everyone. Dead or alive."