𝑭𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝑴𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔 - 𝑳𝒖𝒄𝒚 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒚

"Lucy Gray!" Maude shouted, "Come on!"

She ran across the dock, running step by step closer to the water.

"Be nice to your cousin!" A voice shouted from the small cottage.

"I will Mother, and yes I will be home before sundown!" Lucy Gray shouted, running after Maude.

The two splashed into the water, spraying it everywhere. Lucy Gray swam toward the surface, spraying Maude with water.

"Stop!" Maude squealed, spraying the water back.

The sun was high that day, the water sparkling back like stars. It was a day to celebrate, there had not been any sun in over two months, and things were starting to look up. The mining had been good and were able to have results they hadn't seen in years.

"Come on, Maude, let's see who can swim to the shore, faster!" Lucy Gray shouted, beckoning Maude over.

"Lucy Gray, you know I can't swim faster than you! No one can!" Maude shouted, trying to swim after Lucy Gray.

"Try to keep up!"

The two raced down, eventually reaching the shore.

"I win!" Lucy Gray shouted, throwing her hands in the air.

Maude panted, trying to catch her breath. "You always do,"

"Come on, let's go get some ice."

The two waddled down the dock, walking toward a secret box filled with ice. Clean ice had been hard to come around, especially with the recent state of the waters, so anyone who knew about it had to never tell anyone. It was located near the frigid bank of the lake where swimming or fishing was never considered.

When they reached the box, they set out a small, old blanket and sat down, munching on the small ice they held in their hands.

"I don't remember the last time we had ice," Maude mumbled, trying not to let any of the ice go to waste.

"Me neither," Lucy Gray said, nodding.

The two sat in silence, enjoying the sound of water hitting the rocks.

"Lucy Gray," Maude said after finishing her ice. "Who do you think will be choosing for The Reaping? It could be anyone right?"

Lucy Gray grabbed Maude's hand, placing her ice aside. "If they pull you, I promise, I'll volunteer in your place. Nothing can stop me from that."

Maude looked up hopefully. "We'll always be together right?"

Lucy Gray looked around, plucking a small, white flower near her now melted ice. A primrose. She placed it on top of Maude's ear, burying itself in her hair.

"Always."