Threats and Deals

Tabitha woke up the next morning to a missed call from Alaric, Elena, Stefan, and Damon, probably regarding Isobel, but I decided to call Alaric. Alaric answered the phone immediately bombarding her with questions, "Hey Tabitha, are you ok? Are you still on vervain? Have you met anyone new recently?"

"Wow, good morning to you too."

Suddenly Damon's voice came through the receiver, "Don't sass, just answer the questions."

Tabitha sighed for effect, and then answered each of the initial questions in order, "Yes, I'm ok. Yes, I'm still on vervain. And no, I haven't met anyone new recently. Why?"

Damon replied, and Tabitha assumed he just took Ric's phone, "Elena's bio mom is back in town and she's demanding a meeting with Elena. If Elena doesn't show up, she threatened to go on a killing spree, starting with you."

"Well, I'd like to see her try. The bitch can't get past the threshold and I don't plan on dying. I appreciate the warning, but I can take care of myself," Tabitha then hung up the phone and chuckled to herself. Isobel was already proving to be a more effective partner than John Gilbert ever could be, but in the end we did still need him to eliminate the rest of the tomb vampires. However, she decided to keep up the ruse of the concerned best friend and called Elena.

"Hey, Tabitha."

"Hey Elena, I just heard from Alaric and Damon about your birth mother. I may hate Damon and vampires right now, but I just had to call you to make sure you're okay."

There was a pause before Elena answered, "Well, no, I'm not okay, but I have no choice but to meet her or else you get hurt."

"I can take care of myself Elena; if you don't want to meet her, then you don't have to."

"No, I'm also going for me. I have to at least see her."

"Do you want me to be there with you?"

"No, I've already got Stefan, Damon and Alaric going as my bodyguards, but could I ask you to stay inside just in case something goes wrong?"

Tabitha sighed, knowing Isobel won't hurt her either way, but knew she needed to indulge her friend, "Okay, but only to keep you mind at ease. Let me know what happened after, or if you're too upset have Stefan or Alaric call me. Deal?"

Elena chuckled halfheartedly into the receiver, "Deal, thanks for calling."

"Anything for you. Bye Elena. Be careful." Tabitha hung up and began getting ready to spend her whole day indoors. She called the school, claiming to be sick and flopped on the couch to relax and wait to receive word about what happened or receive further instructions.

Naturally, as the school day was nearing its end, Tabitha's phone rang and she picked it up without looking, "Hello?"

"Glad to know you're adept at playing both sides and pick up quickly."

"Afternoon Isobel. Yeah, it turns out your threat upon my life gave me the perfect excuse to take myself out of the equation for the day due to everyone being nervous for my safety. How can I be of assistance to you today?"

"I need to know how I can rattle Elena? What can I say to her when I meet her that will stop her from dominating the conversation by asking stupid questions?"

Tabitha chuckled darkly, "That's easy, ask her why she chose Stefan instead of Damon, or subtly drop the hint she likes playing both of the Salvatores. Compare her to Katherine, and since she's only heard stories about her, Elena will have to assume the worst about herself."

"And who should I threaten if either of the brothers step out of line?" 

"Jeremy Gilbert, Matthew Donovan, and Bonnie Bennet, but I would stick with the two former, I don't know how far along Bonnie is in her witch training."