Bittersweet Christmas Eve

Finally it was Christmas Eve and as soon as I woke up I was busy preparing for tonight. I had a whole evening planned. First would be caroling, so I could drop off everyone's presents, then we would have dinner and I would put Clark to bed as Matt helped me set the presents under the tree.

I put on my new red dress after showering and tied my hair up in a braid and practically danced through the kitchen. Grammie came in, "Well looks like someone has their Christmas spirit."

I chuckled, "Exactly. Today is going to be great. It has to be. So, what do you want for breakfast? I can make anything."

"Just some french toast will be fine dear."

"Coming right up," I answered tightening my apron.

Grammie sat down, "So what's on the agenda for today?"

"Well, I don't really have much planned until this afternoon, but I'd like to start caroling around five o'clock, so we can be back here for dinner at six. I invited Matt over since this is his first Christmas alone. I want Clark in bed by eight so he can be asleep by nine, so we can set the presents under the tree and get a couple hours of sleep before Clark inevitably wakes everyone up at the crack of dawn to open presents."

"So you don't have anything planned until five?"

"Nope." Suddenly my cellphone rang and I answered it, continuing to make the french toast, "You have reached Tabitha Fell's phone, however today she would like to be addressed as The Christmas Spirit. How may I make your day more delightful?"

I heard Elena chuckle into the receiver, "Well Christmas Spirit, I was wondering if you wanted to come to the park with Clark around 11? Bonnie is going to be living with her aunt a while longer and I want us to spend some quality time with her. Just the four of us and Clark. We can make snowmen and snow angels, maybe even have a snowball fight. Are you interested?"

"Most definitely, but I will have to ask my parents and grandparents if they have things they want to do with Clark today. I'll call you right back, okay?"

"Okay, bye!"

"Bye." I hung up and turned to Grammie, "Well, I now have plans for this afternoon, but it's more of a girls thing. Elena wants her, Caroline, and I to spend some quality time with Bonnie before she heads back with her aunt at eleven. I want to take Clark, but I don't know how much fun he'll have being pummeled by snowballs?"

Grammie chuckled, "Don't worry, we'll take Clark over to your parent's house. Let him spend some time with his grandparents and us with our kids."

I finished the french toast and set the plate down in front of her, kissing her cheek, "Thank you, Grammie."

She took my hand, "Of course, dear. I know how difficult your life has been, juggling multiple jobs and school, multiple community activities, and your social life with friends. You're not an adult yet. You're still a kid and you can be a little selfish every once in a while. Despite what you may think your duties are, I want you to make the most of your time right now. You can worry about being a mother after you graduate, okay?"

I nodded, "Okay, Grammie." 

I gave her a hug and chuckled as Pappy walked in, "Well good morning, how are my two favorite women?"

"Wonderful, Pappy. What do you want for breakfast?"

"Just some eggs and bacon will be fine, Tabby. Thank you."

I walked into the kitchen and looked back to see my grandparents kiss and begin chatting with one another. I smiled at the scene as they held hands and I caught myself wishing that I had that. Someone to love me and only me just as much as I loved them. Someone to spend my entire life with. Share memories with. Grow old with. That would be my ultimate Christmas wish.