The Art of Contentment

* I woke up in a comfy, lavish, but old fashioned bed and got up to see a hand-written note on the bedside table.

"Took Clarkson on an early morning ride without you. 

Please do not be angry with me.

The both of us did not want to wake you from your slumber.

Join us when you are ready.

Sincerely,Yours"

I got ready in a blue and gold dress from Hungary, pinning up my hair perfectly. I was just about to leave to join my loves, but a commotion outside drew me to the window.

I sauntered over, drawing the curtain. Down below, I smiled at the scene. The two loves of my life had just returned from their ride. Clarkson had been lifted off his horse and was now running around, playing with the stable boys, Matthias and Tytus. Meanwhile, my beloved had just dismounted his steed and was now conversing with his brother.

My sister-in-law, Eleyne, came up behind me, "What are you sitting up here for? Come down and enjoy the day with us."

I smiled, "Just a moment longer, I like to take these moments in while I can."

"Why do you say that? Why must these moments end?"

I sighed sadly, "Because as soon as she returns, I'll lose him."

"Who will return?" Eleyne grasped my hand, "Please, you are starting to scare me."

"I have only seen her face once, in a picture, but she was his first love. The way he speaks of her; how could I possibly compete? That is why I must prepare for him to leave me."

"Again, I ask whom?"

"Kathryn." At that moment my beloved looked up at me with his pale blue eyes. I smiled down at him, turning away from the window, "Come Eleyne, we've lingered too long. Let us go join our husbands."

I hooked her arm in mine, guiding us down the stairs of my house and out the front door. Eleyne's husband, my beloved's brother, Stephen walked over to greet us, "A few more moments and I would've thought you had stolen my bride."

I chuckled, "I could never keep her from you. Far be it from me to stand in love's way."

My beloved then came up to me, "I saw your face in the window, what troubles you? Are you ill?"

I shook my head, lightly placing my hands on his cheeks, "No, I'm happy. Perfectly content." 

I brought myself up onto the balls of my feet to kiss him only for him to draw back, "Do not dodge my question or lie to me. That proves to me that you are not happy about something. Tell me what it is."

I drew back myself, frowning and now glaring at the man I loved, "You challenged me once before and won my heart, but I shall not lose this time. The demon stole my body, you hold my heart and played with my mind as if it were a toy, and our son carries my soul. However, my willful and kind nature is mine to keep forever."