Break

Well, it had finally come; Thanksgiving Break. I didn't have to worry about preparing lesson plans or grading papers and the school board told me that they had hired a new history teacher who would start after the break. After school that day, everyone went to the Grill to celebrate.

Although it wasn't perfect, I had hoped everyone would be seated together like one big happy family, but Caroline and Bonnie were still fighting about what happened at her party; Matt and Caroline were awkward around one another; Stefan and Elena weren't talking; and to ruin the mood even more, was Damon quietly sucking down bourbon at the bar, overlooking the entire establishment. 

I decided to sit down with Caroline for a bit to talk about what she was doing for break and then talked to Bonnie for a bit about avoiding Damon at all costs. I finally settled beside the football players as they played pool. 

After several hours Tyler finally asked, "So Tabs, when are your grandparents and the little tyke coming to town?"

I smiled, "I got a call from them saying they'd be here tomorrow. Clark is really excited to show you all his soccer moves."

Tyler chuckled, "Can't wait, we might have to have guy's day this Thanksgiving. What do you think Matt?"

"I like it, but we'd have to get permission."

Both of them looked at me and I snickered, "Oh, guys, I don't know."

"Please, Tabby, it's just a couple hours alone with him. We promise not to take our eyes off of him."

I glanced up at Damon, knowing he was listening in, "There's been a lot of tragedies this year guys. I'm not so sure."

"Tabs, you can't smother the kid," Tyler reasoned.

"I absolutely can, I'm his mother and what I say goes. Besides if I had everyone have a day with Clark, then I wouldn't have my time with him." I saw them frown and continued, "But maybe I can organize a sleepover day where everyone comes over to spend the entire day with Clark at my new house."

"Woah, really! You have a house?" Tyler asked

"Yep, my Uncle left it to me while he's out of town." I saw the wheels turning in the Lockwood's head, "Absolutely not, I'm just a glorified house-sitter, there will be no parties."

Suddenly a voice rang through the grill, "MOMMY!"

I turned around and gasped as I saw Clark run over to me. I ran to him, meeting him halfway and engulfing him in a hug, "Oh my gosh! I missed you baby."

"I missed you too, mommy."

I looked up at my grandparents, "I thought you weren't going to be here till tomorrow."

"Well we talked it over with Clark and decided to surprise you," Grammie explained.

I started laughing and gasping, Clark pulled away and asked, "Are you okay, mommy? You're crying."

I hugged him again, "I'm just really happy, baby."

"Happy tears?"

I giggled, "Exactly."

I heard Matt and Tyler come up behind me, "Do we get hugs Clark?"

"Of course, Mr. Matt."

I let Clark go as he ran into Matt's arms as I stood up smiling and wiping my tears. I hugged my grandparents, "Thank you. Thank you both."

"Of course dear," Pappy said.

"We know how much these moments mean to you," Grammie confirmed.

I watched as Matt and Tyler lifted Clark up to the pool table, allowing him to take a shot. "I'll order us some food if you guys want to take a seat."

"Oh sweetheart, we'll pay for ourselves. Go be with your son."

I hugged them both again, "Thank you."

I jogged over to the pool table and asked, "Are you gonna let mommy take a shot?"

Clark handed me the pool stick, "Of course!"

Bonnie had left a while ago to get out of Damon's gaze, but Elena and Caroline came over to hug Clark. Stefan showed up and came to talk to Elena when Clark stopped him, "Wait! Who are you?! And why do you need Auntie 'Lena?"

I snickered, "It's okay, Clark. This is Stefan, one of mommy's new friends, remember?"

"This is Mr. Stefan?"

I nodded, "Yep. Stefan, this is my son Clark."

Stefan smiled, holding out his hand, "It's nice to meet you Clark, your mom has told me a lot about you."

Clark shook Stefan's hand and replied, "She told me about you too, said you were friends with Auntie 'Lena and Auntie Bonnie."

"She's right."

I smiled, only to look up to see Damon approach us. I placed Clark protectively behind me, "What do you want Damon?"

"I just wanted to come see what all the fuss was about. No need for hostility."

"I don't trust you to be around my child, Damon, so you can back away."

Clark stepped out from behind me, eyeing Damon, "Mommy, who's he?"

Keeping my glare trained on Damon, I answered, "This is Stefan's older brother, Damon."

"Why don't you like him?"

Damon crouched down to be on Clark's level, "I may have hurt your mom once."

"Why? Mommy's a good person."

"I was angry at myself and took it out on your mother. It wasn't your mom's fault, it was mine. Do you think your mom could ever forgive me?"

"Have you asked her?"

"Not sincerely."

"I think if you ask, she'll forgive you."

Damon glanced up at me, "You think she will? She's pretty mad at me."

"She will. Mommy's the best ever."

I hugged my son, "Thanks baby. Come on, let's get you something to eat and then we can head home for the night." 

Clark ran over to where Pappy and Grammie were seated and Damon grabbed my arm, "Can we talk outside for a minute?"

I let out a huff, "Look Damon, if it's about forgiving you, then it might take a while. You did the one thing that I've never been able to forgive. If I'm going to forgive you then I need to forgive Him and right now, I don't see myself doing that anytime soon."

I walked away from the vampire, feeling my arm gently slide out of his grip. I sat down next to Clark and he asked, "Did you forgive Mr. Damon?"

I smiled sadly, glancing at Damon's back as he sat back down at the bar, "No, not yet." I looked back to Clark, "I want to forgive him, but I can't just yet."

"Why not?"

"There's something I have to do first," I replied, "but that can wait till tomorrow. Do you want to spend the morning with Mr. Matt and Mr. Tyler tomorrow?"

"Yes!"

I giggled, "Okay, let me go ask them if it's okay."

I got up and walked back over to the pool table, "Hey guys do you think you guys could watch Clark tomorrow morning, there's something I need to do."

"Sure, when do you want us to pick him up?" Tyler asked

"Nine in the morning would be great. You can take him to the park or the school football field. Just text me updates every hour."

Matt saluted, "Yes ma'am."

"Thank you."

After sitting back down and eating dinner, I got the grandparents and Clark to my new house, or Logan's house, and while the adults took the master bedroom, Clark decided that he wanted to stay with me in my room.

Having him curled up next to me was the best thing that had ever happened to me, since the start of the year. Tomorrow I needed to stay strong because I was going to be facing my nightmare alone.