Halloween

I had been living with Matt for a month now and still no word or sign of Vicki. I even tried calling Uncle Logan to see if he'd give me the details about that report. Although I couldn't exactly open an investigation by myself with my busy schedule, working as a substitute teacher alongside my other three jobs was draining enough.

It was the day of the Halloween Bash and I was helping set up the school after going on the search party for Vicki with Matt that morning. Matt stalked up to me while I was up on a ladder decorating the gym, "Vicki called me today."

I looked down at him, "What?"

"Vicki called me."

I got down from the ladder, "Well what did she say?"

"She said she was fine and not to worry about her because she was working things out."

I gave him a hug, "Hey, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere, okay?"

He hugged me back, "Thanks Tabs, I don't know how I would've gotten through this month without you."

I snickered, "Ah ah, we're at school so you'll address me as Miss Fell and you're welcome Matt. Now help me out with the rest of the decorations."

I was setting up a different area when Caroline approached me, clearing her throat obnoxiously loud. I sighed, climbing down off the ladder, "What do you want Caroline?"

She sighed, "Look, I'm really sorry about what I said to you at the Founder's party. It was petty and wrong of me. I also know that you broke up with Damon and have been really stressed between teaching classes and helping Matt out with Vicki. I was hoping we could start over." She held out a bag to me, "I got you a costume for tonight to hopefully sweeten my apology."

I took the bag and took a breath, "I'm also sorry for everything that happened Caroline. I shouldn't have got together with Damon. It was a mistake from the beginning. I'm also sorry for what I did at the party too. If I forgive you, would you be willing to forgive me?"

She smiled and pulled me into a hug, "Of course I forgive you!"

I hugged her back, thanking God that I finally had my bestie back. I then opened the bag, "A fairy?"

She nodded, "Yeah, I figured that you wouldn't want to be a witch like Bonnie and I, but I figured you could be something just as magical."

I hugged her again, "Thanks Care, I'll see you tonight."

"See ya!" She called heading down the hallway as I got back to decorating.

That night I was getting ready in my fairy costume when I heard the commotion outside.

I walk out of my room to see Vicki step inside, "Vicki?"

She looked confused, "Hey Tabs, what are you doing here?"

I ran over and hugged her, "Nevermind that, are you alright? Where have you been?"

She wriggled out of my hug, "I'm fine, I was just figuring some things out. Why are you here?"

Matt answered for me, "Tabby's been trying to help me find you. She was staying in mom's old room because she didn't want me to be alone until you came back."

Vicki smiled and hugged me back, "Thanks for taking care of him for me."

I smiled, "Always Vicki, I'll make dinner for us, but then I gotta go to the Halloween Bash."

Matt came in to help me as Vicki sat at the table watching us. About five minutes later the doorbell rang. "Go answer it, Matt. I'll finish the veggies."

Matt went to answer the door, and I listened in. "Stefan, what are you doing here?"

I froze, remembering that I still had a vampire problem on the back-burner. "Is Vicki home?"

"Yeah," Matt answered.

"Can I see her?"

I set the food down on the table in front of Vicki as she called, "Don't let him in. I don't want him in here."

I looked down at Vicki and then up at Matt as he asked Vicki, "Did he do something to you?"

"No, I just don't want him in here."

I thought back to Damon and how he told me about vampires having to be invited in. Matt shooed Stefan away, but I followed him out, "Stefan! Wait!"

"Miss Fell? What's up?"

I frowned, slapping him, "Don't 'what's up' me. Tell me honestly, is Vicki a vampire?"

"How do you know?"

"Damon. Now tell me Stefan, is the reason why Vicki has been missing for a month because she's a vampire?"

Stefan sighed, "Yes, Damon killed her after getting free and killing Zach."

Guilt welled up in my throat and I said, "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Damon was in my head the day of the car wash and I was the one who let him out. It's my fault Zach's dead. I know you might not forgive me, but I was allowing Damon to feed off of me so he'd stay away from Caroline. I'm so sorry Stefan."

Stefan stood there for a minute, "I forgive you Tabitha. I'm sorry for what Damon did to you and it's not entirely your fault. I'll see you later."

I saw Stefan speed out of sight and I hopped in my car, driving to the Halloween Bash. I found Caroline and Bonnie talking to Tyler and noticed Bonnie wearing the necklace Damon needed. Sooner or later, Damon would come for me and when he did, I had to be ready.

I caught up with Bonnie and had fun chatting with Care and Tyler. I even got a picture from Grammie of Clark dressed as a pirate out trick-or-treating with his friends. I had Tyler take a picture of me with Caroline and Bonnie in our costumes to send to Clark.

I then went off with Caroline to check out some of the haunted classrooms. We were halfway through when I got a text from Bonnie, 'I left the party. Damon's still there looking for you and Caroline. He also tried to take my necklace. The one you gave me. We need to talk tomorrow.'

My heart clenched, but I ignored it and stuck close to Caroline until she wanted to go home. 

Once I was safely back at Matt's house, I texted Bonnie back, 'Thanks for the heads up. Got Caroline home safely. I'll meet you at your Grams's house tomorrow morning and explain everything.'

She texted back immediately, 'Thank goodness. Come over 7 am. Grams wants to treat you to breakfast.'

I smiled, hearing Matt walk in and I asked, "Where's Vicki?"

"She's not here?"

I walked over to him, "Matt, hey. She'll come back."

"When?"

Tears started to come into his eyes and I hugged him, "Hey, I'm here. I'm here."

I got him to bed and then called Stefan, "Stefan?"

"Miss Fell, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, but Matt's not. Have you seen Vicki? I don't know how safe I feel knowing she's a newbie vamp with full access to this house."

"She's dead." His words hit me like a ton of bricks and I slumped down onto the couch as he continued, "She lost control and tried to kill Jeremy and Elena. I killed her and Damon buried the body somewhere. Elena knows our secret now too."

I sighed, "What do I tell Matt?"

"Tell him that Vicki told Jeremy she was leaving town."

"I really don't like lying to him Stefan. Matt deserves better than this shit life."

"I know, but it's better letting him think Vicki's out in the world alive somewhere than telling him that she's dead in a ditch somewhere."

"I know, good night Stefan. Thanks for telling me and I'm sorry again about Zach." I hung up before he could respond and started crying over Vicki.  I stripped, showered and crawled into bed, setting an alarm to wake up early to head over to Bonnie's.