The Mothers and Father

Bright and early the next morning, I find a few notes left for me that cause me concern, but I go ahead and get the kids ready for school as usual then I head to the mother's meeting as they call it.

When I enter, all the mothers are sitting and having lunch, only Edolie and Emery are there.

"Sit Athena," Basilah says seriously and I do, "we wanted to discuss our children's care with you. I have two girls. One is Norah and she is getting to the stage of rebellion so do not encourage behaviours that I have disapproved, while Emery is just a baby and has to still go through the hardships of school, so you need to be more of a motherly figure." I nod in understanding at her words.

Eden then begins, "My oldest, Anax, because he is to be the leader has become disrespectful in some way, but I know it is out of stress, while Berli is a smart young boy that is keen on being friendly to all while Cayle is too young to know any better than to trust everyone. Do not refer to Kerogen's by their names because they are higher than you and do not encourage them to rebel. It is clearly in your blood since you are rated an orange."

I look down at my arm that has an orange band and nod as I wonder what that is supposed to mean.

"I may be human but I am rare like you," Alora says abruptly, "my children must be treated with respect because they are still of the royal household. Hagan is young and confused about this world that we have hidden from for years. Udeline is too innocent for her own good and a little clumsy, so you need to watch out for her. Imogen thinks she is special which she is because an army job is rare and her father encourages it, but help her to be a child too and stop worrying so much about a future coming too soon."

I nod and sigh inwardly as I try to keep track of all these requirements.

Kamali interrupts Ellerie, "Camden is headstrong and rebellious because he thinks he deserves to be a leader, so you just need to let me deal with him when he is being feisty. Alisha is an angel and loves her almost twin Amoli, so she just needs love and care. Edolie is too young to understand that being in this family means a lot of sacrifice."

Ellerie clears her throat, "I think you are doing a great job already. I saw how you helped Amoli. Kabir and Ivaan love you, so that is all I can ask for."

Everyone glares at Ellerie.

"Thank you Madams," I say kindly, "I must meet Sir as he has asked for a meeting."

They excuse me and I head towards James' office.

I knock and he lets me enter.

"Athena," James says happily, "many Kerogens have accepted to have you carry their child." My stomach sinks at the thought and he laughs at my expression that I couldn't clearly hide.

"Although many human girls are in demand," James says seriously, "my son was one of the offers. Now, I will be kind and generous to give you the opportunity to make the choice yourself out of the select few that are deemed appropriate for someone working in the royal family. There are ten files." I nod, "Yes...Sir."

I head out with the files in hand and put them in my room until I finish my duties.

"Athena," Anax calls and I make my way to his office, "I know my father talked to you and that you haven't gotten a chance to review the files, but I wanted to let you know how safe you would be here from any Kerogen harming you in any way." I nod, "Thank you sir." "Keep in mind that no file can show how good a person really is," he says kindly. I nod as I make my way out of the office to prepare to children for dinner.

As I help them eat, James grabs everyone's attention.

"Amoli has informed me that she is pregnant," James announces which causes Ellerie to cry as well as her little brothers to scream, but most others seem to feign happiness except Alisha, "Also, Alisha has found a human man who will ensure she can do the same as Amoli. His name is Tyler and he has green eyes, but we will meet him soon." My heart sinks and Anax seems to notice the pain in my eyes as the tears fall slowly, but everyone else rejoices, so I just get back to feeding the little ones. "Berli has, also, selected a human girl named Heidi with hazel eyes that will be the carrier of his babies," James says happily, "but Camden has been punished with a suspension of this so no announcements for the next years."

"When will they come?" Eden and Kamali ask at the same time. "Tomorrow," James says kindly and everyone continues eating, but my mind doesn't rest.

"Oh," James says at the end of the meal, "almost forgot. When the baby is born, Athena will be the caretaker."

Once that is over, I get the kids to bed, but I am called by Anax just before I can head to my room.

"Yes sir," I say politely. He comes closer and hugs me, "Did you love him?" I nod, "And his daughter." "I am sorry about all this," Anax says apologetically. "Humans had it coming," I say seriously, "the other girl, Heidi, is my sister, so that is good I guess." Anax nods, "And she is getting someone great." I nod, "Thanks sir." He nods as I head out and head to bed.

My tears fall silently as I sleep, but I am awakened by screams.

One of the girls is giving birth.

"It is so painful," she says with tears streaming down her face that is turning red, "is it out yet?" "Almost," the doctor says kindly, "it is a boy with hazel eyes." She smiles as she holds him tightly near her, "Only for 6 more years." I hear her whisper these words like a desperate cry for help.

I start my duties once again and then Amoli calls me.

"Athena," she says calmly, "how painful is childbirth?" I giggle, "I am not really sure. I am sure your mother knows better than me. I haven't had a child yet." She smiles, "I just want a healthy baby and for my husband to be home for the birth in 3 months." "3 months?" I ask and she nods. "Kerogens are born quicker," she says like it is nothing amazing, "but I don't even know if I can do this." I nod, "No one does. I remember my brother's girlfriend was pregnant and he was terrified, but when she was born..ugh....she meant the world to him and to me." She smiles, "I hope that happens here too." I smile, "It will."

Afterwards, I am asked to come to James' room.

"Have you decided yet?" he asks me. I nod, "Yes, sir. I looked at the files briefly and I chose Sir Anax." He nods with a smile, "Good to hear. I will check with him if he has changed his mind otherwise your status is about to change."

Later that day, as the children walk in, Heidi and Tyler are behind them.