Peace and Sympathy

The very next morning, before the broadcast, I am reading the book Berli gave me a while back as I feel exhausted. I haven't felt nauseous or overly moody, but Heidi has which was funny when Berli asked me about it.

At the moment that I am smiling to myself, Anax walks in to find me laying in bed reading a book and eating fruits.

"Hey," I say with my mouth full of food, "sorry. I had them bring breakfast in here cause I was tired." I slowly sit up as he walks closer and sits on the bed.

"Can I?" he asks as he points to my stomach area and I nod then he pulls up my shirt, places his head on my stomach and lays there. He just listens for some time.

"Ow," I say as the baby kicks harshly and Anax jumps back as it hits him in the face, "he is telling you to stop eavesdropping and taking up his little bit of room." I laugh uncontrollably at his reaction and he shakes his head with a smile.

He then moves over to me and lays beside me which makes me nervous but I continue eating my fruit cause I am starving and they won't give me anything I'm craving.

"Are you craving fruit?" he asks me and I shake my head. "No," I say seriously, "everything but fruit. Sadly, they won't give me anything I am craving. Something about it being bad for Kerogens and all." He laughs, "It is true. Kerogens are more sensitive as babies. You cannot eat fish, chocolate, salty foods, spicy foods. Basically, anything with extreme flavours and such." I sigh, "Everything a woman craves really." He laughs but I frown and he sits up more as he plants a kiss on my forehead.

I blush, "Your mothers explained what that means." Anax blushes, "Oh, did they?" I nod, "So, is it true?" He nods, "I realised it when I almost lost you that day. Funny how it takes big events to make you realise stuff." I smile at him, "That's cute. Heidi was wondering if mothers do it back?" "It is quite rare actually," Anax says honestly, "but some do after a while." "Oh okay," I say, "usually woman are more affectionate." He smiles at that, "Things changed I guess with our species. Anyway, I should go do the broadcast. Father says we will have to go out amongst the people, but only the adults. I suggested otherwise but he turned me down and then agreed, so all the mothers will stay except Alisha, Amoli, Heidi and you. You guys will come with me, Berli, Camden, Tyler and Brody, who is arriving today. Only one mother will be required to come and that will be Basilah, since she is the first mother."

I sigh, "Okay, I will get dressed then. What am I required to wear?" "Royal attire," he says seriously and I nod as he makes his way out of the room. I get dressed in whatever they provide.

Everyone is ready to leave once the broadcast is over and the kids are home.

We head out of the home to find many waiting outside the gates with tears and fear.

James tells everyone to quiet down and then addresses them, "We are hear to calm your fears. If anyone has lost someone, please let us know."

A few come forward, most are Kerogens, one is human and another is a Huke.

We walk towards them and listen to them.

Heidi ends up crying and I try to hug or comfort the people. Basilah as well gives them flowers. The others try to talk to others in the crowd.

It goes like that until dinnertime.

Camden was the most indifferent to their suffering and got reprimanded for it.

I watch Amoli and Brody at dinner as I wonder about her.

Afterwards, I knock on her door.

"Hey," I say quietly as I watch her put the baby to sleep, "did he explain yet?" She nods, "He said he is going to be around more often so that's why he wants me to have more children otherwise he will start looking for another mother, I guess." I sigh, "Do you feel you are ready?" She shakes her head, "I don't feel I will be able to take care of Athena the way she needs to be. I mean she will only start walking at seven months and it is not like Brody will always be here or help out." "Talk to your father yet?" I ask her and she shakes her head. "I will," she says nervously, "tomorrow." "Okay," I say kindly, "let me know if you need anything and how it goes." "Can you take Athena for the night?" She asks with a sad smile and I nod. She hands the baby over and I put her in a crib in my room as she drifts into a deep sleep, once again.