Food Hunting

Our injured selves fall asleep early that morning, into the afternoon we're still sleeping. We eventually wake up to the sound of people screaming and gun shots firing. Heidi's eyes are wide open at this point, mine follow. We see young ones, women, children and old people chained to each other by their hands and feet. They're being dragged along at gun point.

I'm not sure if it's the French army or ours, I can't possibly see. Me and Heidi stay dead silent, we aren't even breathing. Not even moving! Eventually when they are almost out of sight I speak, "Should we follow them?" "I don't think it's a good idea,"Heidi says out of concern for herself and me. "Listen! We can help them one by one. We don't have to save them after that, we just have to give them a second chance,"I whisper shout. She nods.

"On the way we look for food though and we follow through deserted and abandoned houses, out of sight,"she concluded seriously. While we're walking through this wasteland, looking desolate. I'm limping along while Heidi seems completely fine, I sigh deeply. "I can't walk anymore, I'm tired,"I complain and whine. She glares at me. "This was your idea smarty pants,"she says matter-of-factly. "Yeah I know but I'm more injured than you,"I say seriously.

"Why didn't you tell me that?"she asks kindly. "Cause we were busy running for our lives, I really didn't think it was appropriate at the time,"I say seriously while continuing to walk. We hear screams again and Heidi grabs me, pulls me so roughly that I collapse onto the floor, she then hides us under a large piece of metal in an abandoned house that is falling apart while they shoot their rounds. They don't injure a single person that is tied together.

The sun sets early today, winter is coming. On the way, we find some trees in some gardens and grab the fruit off them. We go inside the house but we're too scared to drink the water incase they're tracking anything in any way. We at least have some fruit water in us. I giggle to myself. We walk slowly and we see fire becoming larger and larger.

We see all the prisoners sleeping and sobbing together, they're also shivering. Heidi quickly crawls towards them and explains to one what we're doing, she then tells them to pass on the message while she gets to work. We release one, that one unlocks another, and the released one then leaves while it goes on like that. I see Heidi running towards me and others doing the same. We start running since I'm injured, the others follow and they're on their own now.

We eventually make it out to our hide out for the night. "We need to find more food and some warm clothes or we're gonna freeze,"I say seriously. "Yeah maybe some blankets too cause we can't carry too much so we gotta be picky,"she says happily while we both catch our breaths.

We saved people today and I'm proud. "Do you think we'll see any of those people again?"I ask kindly. "Maybe but we can't take in any people, maybe one but no one else. We have to take care of ourselves. Small groups survive,"she says politely but seriously. I nod.

We wake up the next morning to bombs going off all around us and someone shaking us awake. "Who...who are you?"I say rather frightened. "Don't worry I won't hurt you, you saved us now I'm saving you guys. Hurry!"he screamed at us while we scramble to get up.

Heidi starts running ahead of him with his siblings while he helps me but I can't run so he carries me bridal style. It's funny but we can't stay with them forever. When we finally get out of the line of fire we are in the forest. "Thanks for saving us,"I say thankfully.

"We have to go our separate ways otherwise they'll find us anyways,"Heidi says seriously. "I guess you're right! We have to make a pact though,"he says seriously. "What is it?"I ask politely but hurriedly. "You have to take care of my siblings if I die,"he says seriously. "We have to discuss this,"Heidi says seriously. "There's nothing to discuss it's either this or we follow you and put you in danger,"he says seriously.

"Fine!"Heidi says impatiently. We quickly go our own ways but out of the forest. We hear multiple gunshots going off so we know that the men who were taking them hostage found out about their escape. They overslept so they could easily be killed in their sleep by other soldiers if they were really looking for each other.

"I honestly don't care who kills who anymore,"I say without thinking. Heidi just glares at me, "Think before you speak!" "Well everyone's out to kill us! We're beat by hundreds of thousands of people to one,"I say seriously. "Athena during a war is not the best time to argue,"she says matter-of-factly. I sigh deeply.

She's half carrying me right now while we walk. It's scorching hot during the days, it's freezing cold in the early mornings and nights. "Thanks Heidi for carrying me but don't drop me when I say I've found food and it's up ahead,"I say getting happy by the second. She laughs lightly and hugs me tight. She carries me to our destination and we take a change of clothes, change our clothes, grab food and bottles of water, finally we grab blankets.

"We're too lucky right now,"I say happily. She chuckles. Then we notice army men marching towards the store, we scramble and make a run for it. My leg almost giving out. "Run Heidi,"I say seriously as I fall to the ground. She stops and starts running back. She grabs my arm roughly and literally drags me along to a makeshift hiding place.

We stay there for hours when we hear screams that will change our lives forever.