More Opinions and A Strategy

Later, I find Atticus playing outside by himself so I make my way over and he waves as he notices me.

"Hi," he shouts excitedly, "wanna play?" "Sure," I say kindly, "what are we playing?" "I am trying to remember what happened today," he says with an innocent smile, "wanna help?" I nod but sadness just fills my eyes, "Well, what can you remember?" "I remember going to class like every day then we had recess then a loud bang then screaming. I remember everyone who could run was running away and everyone else was stuck under the school. I saw some people rushing to save their kids. I think some people are still under there."

He says these things as he plays out the scene for me. "I wish we could help," he sighs, "maybe then everyone would be at peace." "I agree," I say with a bright smile, "you know, I was in a war once. The one thing you can always guarantee is that it will come to an end, one way or the other." He smiles then jumps up to hug me tightly.

Once I head inside, I find Anax surrounded by the twins. I laugh as I make my way over.

"Come on," one of the young girls says while pleading. "Just a little bit," the other begs. "What's going on?" I ask and Anax sighs. "We just wanted to be involved," the oldest twin says sadly. "He doesn't want our opinion," the younger twin says with annoyance. I turn to Anax, "Why not? They have been here longer, wouldn't they know more about the situation?" Anax laughs, "That is not what they want to give advice about." "Oh," I say and turn to them, "well, why don't you tell us anyway about what you think is happening."

"I am Arella," the oldest, red-eyed twin says seriously, "my mother is not leadership material. I don't know how she got that job in the first place. Papa was always better at it and took over, which shouldn't have happened. Papa is the reason for all these problems. The Kerogens hated him and the Humans loved him, so when he died or was killed everyone assumed it was the Kerogens. It wasn't, at least not in the way you think." The other girl interrupts, "It's true. We are very nosey. As Arella says, Papa had too much power which made him think he was better than our mother. This led him to be abusive and our older siblings fought back. Then, he died from natural causes." "Africa," Arella says seriously, "it's true, but in a way they were doing it in self-defence and he wouldn't let up. I mean, Atlas is army." "So," I say seriously, "this whole thing is a misunderstanding that could be fixed."

They nod. "Not that easy though," Africa says seriously, "everyone loved my papa if they were Human which kept them under control. Everyone loved my mother who is Kerogen. If they find out that their leaders are the ones who got rid of him, they will never believe the reason because it doesn't seem plausible." Anax tenses, "What do you think the solution is young ladies?"

"Explain and then put these new Humans under a new rule or red-badge them," Arella says honestly, "then bring new Humans and leave the current Kerogens. Punish them as well because there is no excuse and if they do not want to comply then red-badge them too." "I have never seen a red-badge," I say seriously and everyone just stares at me like I am stupid.

Anax turns to look at me, "Red-badges are....killed because they are too dangerous. Even Kerogens can be labelled like this. They all start out green, then yellow if they commit a crime or something, then orange if they become crazy and then red is the final destination." "What will happen to the kids?" I ask him and he looks towards Africa. Africa sighs, "What Human's refer to as Orphanage, but we put them in a school."

"Like Leto was?" I ask and Anax nods. "They are good places though," Anax says with sadness in his eyes, "but you never really leave. No one adopts in Kerogen custom, so those kids end up being very lonely and Kerogens don't do well alone which ends up getting them a red-badge." "Why not implement a system forcing adoptions or atleast fostering?" I ask him and he shakes his head. "Kerogens don't like being forced," he says seriously, "especially since our ordeals over the years. If you didn't have family, you died. If you were unable to function on your own, you died." "Well," I say seriously, "that needs to change and another solution needs to be found."