Robots and Memories

Heidi freezes as the robots turn toward her, Joy and Jay. Joy and Jay try to continue moving.

"DON'T MOVE!" I scream at them and they freeze. The robot pauses for some time and then turns towards other running humans.

Heidi moves slowly and the young children copy her. They make it to me just in time.

Soon, night falls and we have all fallen asleep.

The robots have left and the world seems even darker than before.

As soon as I wake up, in the middle of the night, I get myself to the back of the diner and search for food. I find some just in time for the sunrise and everyone joyfully eats some leftover food that has not expired as of yet.

As soon as that is over, everyone heads to bed once again.

Soon, Heidi and I wake up to discuss our plan for the evening.

"Food, water, clothes, everything," I say dramatically and Heidi sighs.

"I don't understand," Heidi says curiously, "we are supposed to have tons of allies."

I nod in agreement.

I sigh and then perk up, "What about that weird color-coded society?"

"Yeah, we have an alliance with them but I remember seeing that they did not want war after their civil war so," Heidi says sadly, "some black-eyed girl ruined our lives."

I chuckle, "She was not predicting our lives was she?"

Heidi pulls her tongue out at me.

"I think there was another one that got destroyed too," Heidi says sadly, "some children kidnapping thing."

"What is wrong with those countries and our poorly chosen alliances?" I say seriously and Heidi giggles.

"Remember that series we were addicted to before all of this happened?" I ask her and she nods.

"Yeah," Heidi says, "I remember. Atleast we are not stuck in a life like that, everything being predicted for you and not having any choices. The royal family is a mess. Wonder how it ends."

I nod and add, "Also, we should be thankful we still have each other. Remember that Lavender girl on the news."

Heidi nods, "Yeah she went through alot before and after."

"Sometimes," I say happily, "I wish I lived in a snowy wasteland like the one we saw on the news. It was a documentary."

"Yeah," Heidi agrees, "not a person in sight."

Soon, the sun sets and the children wake up.

"Ready?" Heidi and I ask. The children nod and make their way into the dark unknown.

"Listen," I say seriously, "I want you all to close your eyes and follow our lead. I will carry Ace and close his eyes but don't look when we are outside. After some time, when we say you can look, we all will look for food, water and clothing."

They all nod.

I pick up Ace and close his eyes while Heidi leads the other two.

We walk outside and face the devastation. We continue walking some way away until we reach a clearer area.

"Okay," I say cautiously, "you guys can open your eyes and look for resources."

The kids obey except Ace as he is fast asleep.

I wince as I realise that the weight is too much as the adrenaline leaves my body.

Everyone turns towards me but they can't see me.