Lost and Confused

I make my way out and realize that they aren't letting me go. Instead, they lead me to the other people that they 'rescued' but I try to make my way towards the exit of the camp.

I never make it there as I am chained with many other desperate people that are shaking in fear.

The thing is, my predicament is worse than theirs because I am hated by the leader for something beyond my control. I watch as the soldier-like men encircle the slaves each tattooed with a deer on them. There are some women among them that are just as strong as the men.

"You have two choices," the leader announces, "be a slave or get killed. You are free to choose whichever you want by tomorrow."

The leader turns his attention to me, "For some of you, that choice will not be that difficult because you are already on the brink of death."

I gulp and look down at my leg.

Some medics come around and tag some with a black tag and others with a blue tag. Those who are injured have the black tag.

As time goes on and the night turns into day, some of the people have already decided.

"You will all be asked your decision," the leader says seriously while Ace runs around nearby.

Men come around and get peoples' responses so they can start separating them. I am the last one sitting there on the floor with a black tag on my arm.

The leader stares at me with disgust as I make my decision to be a slave. It could not be worse than being dead.

I walk to the side of the room where most people are standing because they value their lives and not their egos. I notice that some of the people are french men so I assume they must be soldiers.

I think to myself, who then are these people?

They escort the other group far away. A few gunshots later and they are gone so is the memory of them just because their ego would not let them serve someone else.

A few people are crying and holding onto little children for dear life.

Some men surround the slave group once again and the leader comes forward.

"All your little children that are three and under will be transferred to our care," the leader says and some parents try to hide their children. The leader looks at his men and they go through the crowd grabbing babies and toddlers while other young children cry over their siblings, hatred building in their hearts.

"If anyone has an objection, the application to death drive is available," the leader says with a smile on his face. Some people step forward and their lives are taken too because they can't bear to see their children become like these men.

I sigh deeply.

"I will decide where you work," the leader says and looks at me with an evil grin, "and you will start from tomorrow."

He goes to his men and tells them which spots to take the slaves.

I watch as mothers and children and families are separated into different homes to be slaves.

I am the last one standing there and the leader looks at me with disgust once again, whispers to the man and they escort me to one of the biggest houses there.

A scared woman comes out and a young girl hides behind her.

"A new slave," one of the men says and the girl sighs while nodding.

The man pushes me forward and the woman opens the door to reveal many slaves standing there, trembling.

"False alarm!" she shouts, "I should have known though. He doesn't usually knock."

I look at the servants dispersing and the little girl's tears start falling.

"When is my daddy coming home?" the little girl asks with sadness in her eyes.

"I told you to not call him that unless we are alone," the woman scolds the little girl causing her to run away, "I am sorry about that. I am the head of the servants as the recent woman died. Things are hard here and if you decide to run, run fast enough. Don't turn back."

Just then, she jumps as the door bursts open and the servants rush back into line. I follow as quickly as I can too.

The man walks in and the little girl stares in awe at him. He comes towards the head of the servants and pushes her aside as he walks straight toward me.

I notice the dreadlocks, black hair, and as he comes closer his green eyes with flecks of gold meet mine. I know who it is but it's not him anymore.

"A?" he asks and shakes his head, "it can't be." "It is me Tyler," I say seriously and I look down at the little girl. I see her sadness and her beautiful green eyes with flecks of gold as well as black curly hair that matches him.

My heart aches at seeing what he has become. Every servant is staring at me especially the head servant who looks heartbroken. I can see it in her eyes. She wishes that he would look at her the same way and love her child that is obviously his.

I move away from him and I see sadness in his eyes.

"What have you become?" I say with pain in my eyes and the servants gasp while the leader barges into the home.

"Ah," the leader says, "just the man I was looking for, my man, Deer." My heart sinks as he turns toward the leader and says, "Sir."

"Any progress finding my niece and nephew?" the leader asks hopefully and Tyler sighs. "Not a trace," he says and I notice the lie in him, "there is nothing that leads to them." "I guess my one nephew, Ace, will have to do," the leader says and Tyler tenses.

Tyler nods and the leader leaves.

He turns to me and looks at the other servants.

The head servant comes forward and tells the servants, "Get back to work now!" Everyone disperses and I try to follow but he grabs my hand.

The head servant tenses and hurt fills her eyes.

"Leave me, Tyler," I say seriously, "I have a job to do much like all your other servants and I am glad I am in this position and not in yours."

His eyes turn sad and I walk toward the head servant. She looks at me curiously and then escorts me to the servants' room to change.

Tyler bursts into the room as I am changing and the head servant jumps again.

"What do you want Tyler?" I ask seriously as I hurriedly change. "I want to explain," he says seriously. "Explain what?" I say seriously. Tyler looks at me and says, "Everything." I nod begrudgingly and he escorts me to the gardens outside.

"When I got shot," he says seriously, "as soon as I came to. I ran to your house and I saw nothing there. I looked everywhere." "Okay and then?" I ask seriously. "I ran out of there towards any direction I might find you but away from any gunshots or bombing but I never came across you. Soon, I found the leader looking for someone and I recommended making a group to find his nephews and nieces. I didn't know that he doesn't care about them and that he is trying to use them as leverage...." "Look," I stop him and say, "Tyler, I could care less about what you did to survive but what did you do to that head of the servants?"

"Claudia?" he asks and I nod, "what about her?" "What about her child?" I ask seriously and he looks at me with confusion. "You can't tell me that you did not notice a little girl that looks exactly like you?" I say and he puts his hand over my mouth. "Shhhhh," he says seriously, fear in his eyes, "if they know, they will use it as leverage. You don't know anything. I act insane to survive and I act like a deadbeat dad to keep them alive."

"Well you must really hate me then," I say seriously, "because you are not hiding it and I will certainly be used as leverage against you and against whoever he wants to get back at because I know where his niece and nephew are. They are with my sister."

He shakes his head and fear fills his eyes, "We need to run." I look at him like he is crazy, "Who?" "Me, you, the girl and the head of servants," He says seriously and grabs me, pulling me along into the house.

He immediately calls the head of servants and tells her, "Get ready. We are leaving tonight with the girl." She runs off and gets ready while I stare at them all in disbelief.