Chapter 11

The next day I was working in the library. I had completely given up on trying to make friends and decided to focus on my work and studies. I was shelving books, while trying to regain a sense of normalcy after the panic attack yesterday. The library, typically a place of quiet work, now carried the weight of an unexpected encounter with Aiden. As I continued my work, I noticed him walk in. He spotted me and a mischievous smile spread across his face. 

"Well, well, look who's back to the land of books." he said, smirking, "Missed me?"

I rolled my eyes and placed the final book on the shelf. But he was still standing there so I turned to him and narrowed my eyes. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, skeptical. 

He leant against a shelf, his usual cocky demeanor replaced by a glimmer of unusual sincerity. 

"I thought I'd stick around, you know, be your fairy godfather." he said, casually. 

I looked at him with a mix of confusion and suspicion. 

"Fairy godfather?" I asked, sarcastically, "Seriously?"

"Yeah, yeah." he said, grinning, "I figured someone has to keep an eye on you, make sure you don't crumble under the weight of all these books." 

I raised an eyebrow at him, still unsure about his intentions. 

"Wow, what a noble cause." I mocked, "Why are you really doing this?"

"Think of me as your unofficial guardian angel," he said, bowing dramatically. 

"Aiden?" I asked again, still skeptical. 

"Okay fine," he said, shrugging, "If I need a favor in the future then I'll need someone who needs to pay me back big time, and I thought, who better than a godchild who's life I saved?"

"When did you save my life?" I asked, laughing. 

"Well, not yet, but it's only a matter of time my child." he said, with a playful salute. 

I rolled my eyes - it wouldn't kill me to have him around - and returned to my duties. I turned around to grab something from the desk to see that Aiden had my phone. Before I realized what he was doing, he was dialing a number. His phone started ringing and he grinned, before hanging up. I went to speak when he shushed me and then handed my phone back, grinning. Then two guys walked up to us. 

"Aiden? Is this your girlfriend?" one guy asked, looking at me. 

"Oh god sakes no. We're not even friends. The only part of that word that's true is that she's a girl, and even that is debatable." he said, shaking his head and laughing. 

The boys laughed, and my cheeks went pink. 

"Later loser." Aiden said to me, before walking away with the guys. 

As he was walking away I got a text message. 

Unknown: It's your fairy godfather. Did anyone know about Cinderella's fairy godmother other than herself? Nope. So let's keep that trend going. Enhances the magic. Goodbye now my child, I must attend to manly duties. 

I laughed. 

Me: There's nothing manly about anything you do. 😂

Aiden: I wish I could say the same for you. 

Later that night I stayed late in the library to close up, and it was dark outside. 

Aiden: Hey, it's your friendly neighborhood fairy godfather. How was your day?

Me: My day was normal...ish. Even with you watching over me. 

Aiden: It's what I do best. Anything exciting happen? Library shenanigans, perhaps? 

I laughed, it was just so unusual to be having a conversation like this with Aiden, especially since I was enjoying it. 

Me: No, just the usual routine. 

Aiden: Boring. I'll have to change that tomorrow. What are you up to now?

Me: Just heading home now. 

Aiden: I was studying late so I'm still here now. Mind if I keep you company on the way home? Good fairy godfather's work overtime.

Me: Sure, why the fuck not?

I waited for him to leave the building and we started walking together. We talked about all sorts of random things and the oddly comforting late-night conversation with him was nice. The whole walk was rich with teasing and sarcasm, but it also revealed a goofy side of Aiden I was yet to see. It was nice to not be constantly fighting with him.