Chapter 13: Bonding

Panic struck the crowd at Musutafu General Park when darkness fell. The body of the fallen civilian was a gory sight, witnessed by those near the vicinity. The police were the first to arrive at the scene, with their yellow boundary tapes preventing anyone else from approaching further. Most parents shielded their children from the disturbing view, leaving the scene immediately; others took pictures of what's happening and posted them online. The news, blogs, tweets, newspapers, and all other sources of information on how the message could spread. The status of the news was trending.

"Sir, your attention is needed over here." The male gingered tabby cat, Tamakawa, called out to his superior. The detective understood what he meant and walked to where the officer was. There was a white blanket draped over the body of the corpse. From the information, it was a man in his late 20s. He went to three different places today. The first being the Kiyashi Ward Shopping Mall, a hospital, and finally the park.

"Reports say he went to pick up his younger sister from the hospital before coming here." Tamakawa looked up from the report he held to the eyes of Tsukauchi.

"Where is his sister?" Before the officer could reply, another one called out to him. It has been a pain dealing with deaths lately. Civilians were fearing their safety. There have been three cases of death in one week. To say that he was not worried would be a lie. Unfortunately, they had no leads from the same occurrence that happened with the family of five earlier tonight.

The three men stopped in their tracks on their way to their destination. They were stuck with horror at the sight in front of them. Tsukauchi's eyes widened with a gasp of air into his lungs.

The body of the younger sister of the man. No. Most of her body parts were beyond recognition. The corpse was bent in an unimaginable way despite not having her limbs attached to her. Her limbs were chopped into pieces, and her head was detached from the rest of the body. There were traces of ice on her body, and her chest seemed to have a mark with several wounds on it.

"Wha-?" One of the officers took a slight step back.

"Get the forensics here and the medical team." The detective ordered. The two officers nodded, leaving the detective to himself. As soon as he left, the man heaved a sigh.

"Do you have any idea who might be behind this?" Turning, he met face-to-face with three teens in their respective uniforms. Each of them was as grave as the situation in front of them.

"A demon." Kanao said, breaking the tensed silence. The man only hummed. Lately, there have been no violent attacks from villains; even the LOV hasn't made a move since the Overhaul incident. He hates to admit it, but they might be right about the demon theory. The more disturbing fact was that they were in their world bringing trouble, not the pleasant type.

He got a call from Aizawa earlier, telling him about how the kids felt about this and their willingness to help. To say it another way, he was surprised the underground hero gave them their permission, but they had to act discreetly. He wasn't the type to support vigilantism, and neither was he. However, he had to put that aside for now since it was a life-and-death situation. It would help if they offered help, especially since they have no idea what they are up against.

"Aizawa told me you are capable of dealing with them." He faced the three again.

"Yes. In order to defeat demons, we behead them using our nirichin blades or leave them out in the sun." Kanao explained, pointing at her sheathed sword.

"Yeah, we have to exterminate those pesky demons!" Inosuke declared, stomping his right foot on the ground. Tanjirou had been quiet since the start of the discussion. He didn't even chime in. Not that he was drowning and couldn't say anything, but but found it hard to do so in front of a dead corpse. If only they had been here earlier, she wouldn't have had to die.