Introducing Amanda

SPLASH! I was panicking, flailing about. I was finally able to get my feet under me. I carefully stood. The rushing current of the muddy water was trying to take me back down. It was the middle of March, and the spring thaw was already well underway. The water was ice-cold, and I was waist deep in it.

I heard the squealing of tires, and the roar of an engine. Dick Ryndon was leaving me for dead. I screamed. I made no attempt to form words, I just screamed.

It was tough going, slogging through the mud in the bottom of that ditch. The sides were just as muddy, and very slippery. I wasn't able to climb out, so I made my way to the end of the ditch. Once I reached the end, I found a pipe sticking out about three inches. I was shivering so hard, it was difficult to lift my foot high enough to place it on top of the pipe. It was all I could do to not fall back into that murky melted snow.

I managed to place my left foot on top of the pipe. I turned so I was facing the road. The current was trying to push my right foot into the pipe. I leaned forward against the side of the ditch, and managed to get my arms up onto the shoulder of the road. It was chest high. I closed my eyes, filled my lungs and, with everything I had left, pushed myself up with my left leg.

Dear God, I didn't know it was possible to be this cold! I flopped onto the road. I tried to catch my breath, but I was shivering so hard I was just gasping. I managed to stand, though I'm not sure how.

I began stumbling down the road toward town. That's the last thing I remember before finding myself in Joshua's family room.

I first met Joshua Whitaker in seventh grade. The very first week of school, in fact. He said I was the prettiest girl he had ever seen. My bouncy blonde hair, pale blue eyes, perfectly proportional body – I was every middle school boy's dream. I was his, too, until he actually tried talking to me.

My name is Amanda Talmage, and I'm a starling. I called Joshua a grubber, and told him in no uncertain terms that I was too good for him. Being a normal adolescent boy he continued to look at me, but he kept his distance. He did notice one thing about me which no one else seemed to: my eyes were always full of sadness because I didn't like who I was.

Joshua and I crossed paths – and swords – throughout middle school and into high school. Every time a teacher assigned small study groups, it seemed like he and I were assigned to the same group. PE also seemed to throw us together, although we both made an effort to avoid each other. As we continued to grow and mature, I remained the prettiest girl in school. That's why most guys thought Josh was nuts to say he wanted nothing to do with me. We tried our best to avoid one-another... so what was I doing in his family room?