Win Some, Lose Some

It was another beautiful sunny morning. I couldn't get over how much I liked the rugged, natural look of their property.

I told Josh, "I wish my parents would allow their place to look more like yours."

Josh got the Battle Wagon started warming up, and apparently he expected me to get dressed in my own clothing. Instead, after my shower, I put on another pair of his sweatpants, one of his flannel shirts, and a pair of his warm wool socks.

He asked, "Wearing my stuff again? Is there something wrong with your own clothes?" I gave him a sort of pleading look, so he smiled and said something about the value of being comfortable.

I asked, "Why are we taking this big old car, instead of your pick-up?"

"Because Paul needs a car seat, and we need to keep Elise's groceries clean and dry." As we drove into town I was looking around, enjoying nature at its springtime best.

We rolled into Elise's driveway at about ten-till.

When she opened the door and saw me, she was surprised.

"Hi, Josh. Who is this? You have a new girlfriend?"

"This is Amanda. She's a friend who's staying with my family for a few days."

"I thought you'd have Shannon with you. You know how well she and Paul get along, and I always like having her help with him on these shopping trips."

"I'll help you with Paul. Besides, you and Amanda have a lot in common, and a lot to talk about."

I asked Josh, "What do you mean, we have a lot in common?" I was looking at the humble home, and Elise's clothing. The broken down car in the driveway wasn't in the greatest condition, and the landscape was in desperate need of attention.

Josh asked Elise, "Have you heard from Bret recently?" He completely ignored my question.

She answered, "He's doing okay. He'll probably be back in town in about three weeks." Josh grabbed Paul's car seat, and we walked out to the car. Josh whispered something in Elise's ear.

She nodded, and said, "Okay."

Once we were on the road, I joined the conversation.

"Elise, Josh tells me we have something in common."

Elise stunned me with her answer.

"He's right, Amanda. I was a starling, just like you. My maiden name was Torgason. My parents are Lars, and Wanda."

I gasped.

"How...? I mean, why did you walk away from it? What changed you?"

"Bret. You know he's Josh's cousin, right?"

"Josh told me, but he failed to mention your background."

"Bret comes from a great family, full of love for each other, and for those around them. Josh comes from that same great family. Bret's dad is Josh's dad's older brother. Tell me, Amanda. How did you come to be staying with Josh's family?"

I apprised her of the situation, finishing as we parked at the first of the stores where we'd be shopping. Josh grabbed a cart, Elise put Paul in the child seat and, somehow, Josh ended up pushing the cart.

Elise asked, "Amanda, how has it been staying with Josh's family?" I shed a few tears as I talked about the family dynamic. I also talked about visiting the neighbors, witnessing how much Josh and his family care about them. Meanwhile, Josh was busy keeping Paul's sticky fingers from grabbing everything in sight.