Always Darkest Before...

Josh gave me a list of names and phone numbers- his, each of his parents, Elise, and his work. I was able to get a new phone, and programmed them in right away. I had conversations with Elise in the evenings.

Josh worked late on Friday evening. He didn't get off until seven. My parents were hosting a party, and I was the topic of conversation. It was not pretty. I ended up leaving, and went to the end of the driveway. I called Elise, but her car was still down. She said she'd call Josh.

Josh was just turning in to his driveway when his phone rang. Elise told him to pick me up at my parents' home. Something had happened to me, but I was so upset I couldn't explain it. She told Josh she had trouble understanding me, because I was sobbing.

When Josh arrived, I was sitting on the curb. I had my phone in my hand. I didn't recognize his pick-up through my tears, and was relieved when I heard his voice.

"Amanda? Are you okay?" I ran over and threw my arms around him.

I said angrily, "Get me out of here! I never want to see this place again!" When I got in I sat in the middle, so I could cuddle up to him while he drove.

We went to Elise's house, and Josh called his parents to tell them where we were. He figured we'd be home late. Elise and I talked for a bit while Josh and I cuddled on the couch. After more than half an hour, I was ready to talk about what had happened.

"My parents are hosting a party. Their guests include Dick's parents, and the parents of a few starlings. My parents learned from them that I had been staying with Josh. My parents learned why Dick had dumped me, and they were angry. They wanted to know why I hadn't – performed – as Dick had wanted. They said that, because of my selfish decision, I had put their status in jeopardy. Had I not chosen to be a... I'm sorry, a good girl, then I'd still be Dick's girl. I'd still be able to marry into his family's fortune. I'd still have those other starlings as friends. They kicked me out of their stupid party, and told me to go back to my grubber boyfriend. Then they turned their backs on me...!" I climbed into Josh's lap, put my head on his shoulder, and bawled.

Josh and Elise gave me time. He held me tight, and let me cry. Once I had regained control, Elise talked to me about status worshiping families versus real ones. We talked long into the night. I stayed on Josh's lap, holding on tightly, and he kept his arms around me.

Finally, we were all so tired that we decided we should sleep, and continue the discussion in the morning. Elise was in her recliner, and Paul had fallen asleep on her lap. The four of us slept there in her living room.