Real Life's Little Distractions

I picked up Tabby after school on Friday afternoon, and we went to her home.

Tabby said, "I need to hurry and get my homework done. I have a date tonight."

"Where are you and Reuben going?"

"It's not with Reuben. He and I broke up. It's with Henry Holleman."

"You and Reuben broke up?"

"Yeah. We decided it was time for us to date other people."

We finished our homework just as Dale arrived home. Tabby had a dinner date, so I decided I'd go out to Josh's for dinner.

"Goodnight, Dale. Tabby, have fun on your date."

When I arrived at the house, Reuben was depressed.

"Reuben, I heard you and Tabby broke up. Are you okay?"

"Yes. No. I don't know. I've never broken up before."

"Why did you two break up?"

"She thought it was time. Other kids were starting to call us, 'the married couple.' Secretly, I've been hoping that's how we'd end up."

"Reuben, I'm sorry."

Reuben's fourteenth birthday was the following Thursday. He was still moping about. I offered to dance with him, but he declined.

That weekend, Josh and I sent out our wedding invitations. A few needed to be mailed, but we chose to hand deliver the rest. We started at Mrs. Richardson's.

"You two are the sweetest couple. Are you excited?"

Josh answered, "Excited, and nervous."

"It's not unusual for a couple like you to be nervous. It's a major life event."

Our next stop was the Schwartzes.

Mr. Schwartz asked, "Why are you delivering them in person?"

Josh answered, "My cousin Heather forgot to mail hers out. We didn't want to risk making the same mistake."

I left for Josh's on Friday evening, when Dale got home from work. We were preparing to sit down to eat, about half an hour later, when Dale and Tabby pulled in.

Tabby asked, "May I speak to Josh and Amanda, alone?" Reuben didn't say a word. He went into his bedroom, and closed the door. Tabby sat between Josh and I on the couch.

Josh asked, "What's on your mind, Tab?"

She asked, "How do I apologize to Reuben?"

"What did you do that needs an apology?"

"After I broke up with him, I dated Henry. He wasn't a good match for me. Since then, I've been out on dates with two other guys. They were even worse. I realize I made a huge mistake. I've been comparing those other guys to Reuben. At least Henry was nice to me. He tried to be a gentleman. The other two were complete jerks. None of them are as good a match for me as Reuben." She started crying. "I miss him, and I want him back in my life. Even if we are just friends to start with. I know I hurt him, but I really want him back." I hugged her.

Josh said, "Tabitha, you and Reuben will have a lot of repair work to do on your relationship. It may take a while. It's possible it may never be quite what it was. Are you willing to be patient? Are you willing to do whatever it takes?" She nodded.

"Yes."

Josh said, "I'll go get him."

I stayed with Tabby. It took about five minutes for the boys to return.