Defending Amanda's Honor

It was the Monday of the week before spring break. Josh and I had midterms coming up, so we were intending to study together at his house that afternoon. We picked up Tabby on our way.

Josh asked, "Where's Reuben?"

Tabby answered, "Your dad picked him up earlier."

"Why? Is he sick?" She shook her head, and clammed up. She was upset, and refused to talk about it.

When we arrived at the house, Robert wasn't there, and Reuben was hiding in his room. He wouldn't talk to us either. The three of us sat at the dining table, and did our homework. Tabby asked Josh for help with her global studies. She finished her homework, and went into the family room to read for her literature class. Josh and I studied for our tests.

Reuben came out of his room to get a drink. His nose was swollen.

Josh asked, "What bit you?"

"Edward Talmage. It's the only blow he landed."

"You fought Ed?"

"I won the fight."

"What were you fighting about?"

"Nothing."

I said, "Reuben, Ed wouldn't get into a fist fight over nothing. He's too afraid of ruining his good looks."

Reuben raised his voice, "I don't want to talk about it!"

Tabby walked in, sat backwards in her chair, and rested her arms on top of the chair back.

She said, "Amanda, they were fighting because of something Edward said about you."

Josh asked, "What did he say?"

Reuben said, "It was vile, nasty lies."

"So what did he say?"

"I'm not going to repeat it."

"Why not?"

Reuben looked right at me. I could see both anger, and sadness in his eyes. He turned back to Josh.

"Because Amanda is a member of this family, and because I love her too much to repeat what he said. I don't want to hurt her."

I didn't know how to respond. I was actually speechless.

Josh asked, "So you attacked Ed?"

"I tripped him as he was walking past me. Other kids were laughing at him, and making fun of him for tripping. When he finally got up he punched me in the nose, so I beat him bloody."

I noticed the knuckles on both of Reuben's hands were scabbed.

Josh asked, "Didn't his friends try to help?"

"They just stood there and watched. I guess his status isn't high enough to make it worth their while."

"So how much trouble are you in?"

"I'm suspended for the rest of the week. It's possible I could get expelled."

"Let's just hope that doesn't happen."

I hugged Reuben, and kissed him on the cheek.

I whispered, "Thank you, Reuben. I love you, too."

Tabby and I started dinner, so it would be ready right after Robert and Helen arrived home. When Tabby opened the tube of biscuits, it popped, and startled her. She jumped, and we both giggled.

When Robert and Helen walked in, they didn't say a word. They just went straight to their bedroom. A few minutes later, Helen walked into the kitchen. Robert was getting a quick shower before dinner.