A Time to Dance

Barney called Bret on Wednesday evening. I was doing homework, but I couldn't help eavesdropping. It's not my fault Bret had his phone on speaker.

"The reason I called is because your cousin, Heather, is getting married this coming Saturday. I know it's short notice, but would you and Elise be able to make it?"

"I don't see why not. We didn't get an invite from them, is it okay to show up anyway?"

"They didn't get their invitations sent out. Somehow, they got set aside, and her mom found them this afternoon."

"Oops. Yeah, we'll be there."

The next day at school, Josh asked me to go with him.

"I have this family wedding to go to on Saturday, and my usual date isn't available. I asked a few girls, but they all said I should take my fiancée. So what do you say, Amanda? Want to be my date for a wedding?"

"I swear, Josh. Every time you get together with Bret, his lousy sense of humor rubs off on you. If you weren't so head over heels in love with me..." We kissed, and went to class.

That evening, I spoke with Elise about the guys.

"Elise, I swear. Every time Josh, and your husband get together, I mean, why do these guys have to be like that?"

"Amanda, guys never really grow up. I just look at it this way- I have two children. I married one, and gave birth to the other."

Bret picked up his phone. He didn't call, he just pretended.

"Josh, I need a favor. Elise and I can't get a babysitter for Amanda for Saturday. Would you mind taking her for a few hours?" I went upstairs to my bedroom to finish my homework. Why do boys have to be that way?

My mom picked me up after school on Friday afternoon. We went dress shopping, I needed something appropriate for the wedding. We went to Karen's shop. I was going to choose something off the rack.

"Hi, Amanda. I was going to call you this evening. I need to get your input on the shoulder straps for your wedding dress." She got out the straps. They were pinned to pieces of cloth.

"The length in the front is perfect. Maybe go an inch higher in the back? Also, I'd like them a little higher on my shoulders."

"You mean closer to your neck?"

"Exactly."

She made some adjustments, and after about ten minutes, it was perfect. I was fighting hard to not start day-dreaming about my wedding again.

"We actually came in so I could look at dresses. I need a nice one to wear to a wedding tomorrow." I lost track of time trying on dresses, and it was almost six when Mom and I arrived at Josh's. Mom stayed for dinner, and I spent the night.

The following morning, we were getting ready to leave. When I walked into the family room, Josh smiled at me. He was wearing a suit. He'd be the most handsome guy at the wedding.

Reuben exclaimed, "Amanda...!"

Josh said, "Close your mouth, Reuben. You're drooling on your tie."

Reuben asked, "Josh, how is it you get the jaw-dropping blonde?" Josh wrapped his arms around me, kissed me, and we walked into the kitchen.

Helen said, "Amanda, you look beautiful. That dress is very nice. Where did you get it?"

"It's the one Mom bought for me yesterday. Next time I go to Karen's shop, I should take you with me."