Words vs actions, the truth is somewhere in between...

Baran and Dilan rode to the location of her family's new restaurant. It was in the same neighborhood as the previous one, but not on the main road. Baran parked on the other side of the street and they both walked hand in hand towards it. They had decorated the place for the opening. There were balloons on the exterior and flowers on each table inside. You could hear the music from outside, old Turkish songs with a festive mood. Before going in, Dilan looked at Baran who was already looking at her. Every time they would meet her family, it was hard for him. She knew he did it for her, so she was not planning on staying long. Her brother was the first to see them. He came out the door to welcome them. "Dilan, sister. Baran, I'm glad you could make it." She hugged her brother but did not let go of her husband.

"Brother, everything is so pretty. Congratulations! You all worked hard." "It is not like our old restaurant, but we will manage, and it has its own charm, don't you think?" "It definitely does." Cevdet invented them inside, and Baran nodded. Looking around there were fewer tables, and the kitchen was smaller, but as her brother said, the place was warm and cozy. "Dilan!" Her dad came to her. "I'm glad you could make it. Mr. Baran, welcome!" "Thank you," Baran answered. "Where is my mom?" "I'm not sure, I think she is on the back." "Seyit, where did you put the cups? We need more." "Mom." "Oh, Dilan, child, Mr. Baran, welcome!" "Thank you!" Dilan tried to hug her, but Ms. Hanife stopped her. "Sorry child, I sweat a lot back them. Everything well with you?" "Yes, mom. You should come to the foundation sometime." "Sure, sure, one day I'll go. Seyit, the cups."

"I'll help you look for them." "There is no need Dilan." "They are here!" Dilan's sister-in-law screamed from the back. "Ah! good. I'll go get them." "Please sit," Cevdet said while pointing at a table next to the window. "Maybe I should help them, brother," Cevdet said no with his head. "They can handle it, don't worry. Sit, please. Can I get you anything?" Dilan looked at Baran, they had yet to eat lunch, and their day had been hectic. "Do you want to order something?" Dilan said to a quiet Baran. "Sure." She figured they would eat, stay a bit and leave. "Do you want me to order for us?" He nodded. 'Strange', she thought to herself, he was being too quiet even for his standards. She placed the order and they were left alone. There were other people around, but not as many as she was expecting. Her eyes returned to her husband, who was watching her. "Is something wrong, Baran?" He grabbed her hand with both of his and caressed her. "No, why?" "I don't know, you've been quieter than usual."

Dilan knew him very well. Something was bothering him, yes. It did not get any easier for him to come to her family, no matter how much time had passed. But Baran didn't want to send Dilan alone to them. He felt protective of her, every time they would come he had the urge to shield her. Why he had that feeling, he could not figure it out. After all, they were her family, but it was like that always. Maybe because of how easily they gave her away to him, a total stranger. And her mother's behavior didn't help. One thing Baran learned at a young age, was to observe people. What someone says can be deceiving, but their actions and behavior always point to the truth. And from the day he met Ms. Hanife, he thought the way she was around Dilan, the way she looked at her, was far different from the way she looked at her other two children. There was something odd about their behavior toward Dilan, she tried to disguise it in front of him, but it came off fake and forced, he knew it was for show.

"You know how I am around other people, don't mind me, Dilan." She pulled one hand from his hold and placed it on top of his. "How could I not Baran? You are my husband, the man that I love. Of course, I will worry about you." Cevdet interrupted them, bringing the food. Dilan and Baran let go of their hands to make room for the plates. "I hope you both like it. Enjoy your meal!" He looked at her and saw her eyes sparkle. "You missed your family's food." She smiled at him. "I did, Ms. Kader's food is amazing, but there is something about my parents' cooking." She then rushed to tell him, pointed her index finger at him, and with her eyes wide open, "Don't tell Ms. Kader."  "We will see," he answered as he took a sip of the soup. "Baran!" "What?" He acted innocent. Teasing her was one of his pleasures and rights as her husband, he didn't get tired of it. She was so innocent sometimes.