23╰┈➤STEPS FORWARD

She never was once in a situation whereby she was confused. Lorlei was the type to easily process her emotions. She quickly understood herself and did what seemed best for her. Putting yourself first solved a lot of issues.

Love came easy to her, she assessed the positive qualities, the negatives, weighed them and figured out how she would grow if she were in a relationship with the person. Yes, she was kind, compassionate, loving but ruthlessly selfish. But when it came to Taehyung, she questioned her qualities. Adding Jungkook to the mix wasn't helpful either.

Sunday morning, Lorlei attends the school gardens. She smiles at her orchids.

"You blossomed well." She greets one, making a mental note to thank Cade for attending to them for her. She stared at another, jealous at the symmetry of it, a quality that she dearly loved-capturing the perfect balance. Balance that she desperately needed right now.

The hollow feeling of running behind her studies made her anxious and she was slowly getting scared. She is a senior and boy drama is the last thing she needs right now.

Last night, when Taehyung had texted her, her heart almost shot out of her body with glee simultaneously, she was terrified. It was a sure bet that Jungkook had told him everything.

She had crawled out of Momo's grasp, wiped away a stray tear on Momo's cheek before shivering into the freezing lonely hallway. There he was, sloped against the wall, cladded in beige cotton pyjamas, a lighter in his hand popping flashes of orange.

He turned with a click! The flame disappears, the silver box sliding into his sleeves before they disappear into his pocket.

"Hey." he had said with a weary smile, catching her eyes for a second before steering them behind her, the window, the floor, then the window, settling on the moon that peaked behind the trees.

"Hi." Finally he had sought her out and not the other way around but whatever the reason, she wasn't excited thus, she made her mistake before he could speak.

"Momo is pregnant."

He snapped his eyes to her. "What?"

"She is considering abortion but she-"

"Wait, slow down-"

"-Is scared of telling her mother and she needs the money, her savings won't be enough because she spent them on me and-"

"Lorlei."

"- I wish there was something I could do to help. I wish i had noticed much more earlier. You should see her Tae she looked so scared."

She sniffed in his scent when he embraced her, his fingers running through her hair as he squeezed her. It had felt nice, heavenly and she felt guilty when she found herself hoping that Jungkook was long forgotten in their conversation.

"Have you spoken to her? How is she now?" his voice rumbled in his chest, tingling the skin on her cheek. He was so warm she melted, balancing on the verge of evaporating.

His eyes. She needed to see those beautiful caramel eyes.

She faced him, fought down the generous breath that waved through her chest, up her thoat and into the walls of her mouth. She swallowed.

"She's fine. Atleast she sleeps easily." she smiled, sunk further into him. "Don't tell her that you know she is...or that I told you."

"I know. You don't have to remind me. I would do anything for you guys."

Anything.

"Right."

He pulled away, his hands back at his sides, the distance between them gaping and ugly.