10.(CH) I don't usually kiss my friends

CEDRIC

XLIX

He spent the last Saturday before returning to school at the Lovegood’s. His father had insisted, despite the fact that it was not necessary for the reasons he stated since Cedric had already made plans with Luna to go to a nearby lake. On the way Cedric told her about his visit to Harry at the Weasleys' house and how he had offered Ginny to take Luna with him next time. 

Luna's expression lit up with it, lighting up her entire face. "I'd love to," she said, smiling.

"You've become close friends, huh?" She nodded, unable to hide a slight blush. "Friends or...?" Cedric continued.

"I really like her," Luna admitted calmly. “She's very pretty, but I don't think she thinks the same of me and I prefer it to stay that way.”

Even though she didn't seem to need reassurance, Cedric wanted to offer it. 

How do you know she doesn't feel the same way? was an ironic question, because he also believed that about Harry. Cedric ended up telling Luna about what had happened. He had to share it with someone, and he knew she would keep the secret perfectly. So he mentioned how he wasn't sure who had kissed whom, since he thought Harry was going to but it was quite possible that it had actually been him —in one of those impulses so easy to commit at night and so difficult to face during the daylight.

Luna made the suggestion he would have made if it had been the other way around: why don't you talk about it with him? And Cedric opened up about his fear of the two of them breaking apart, because he didn't think it was a mutual feeling. 

“How can you know that?” she asked.

“I know he fancies Cho.”

"Has he told you so?"

“Well… No, but one of his friends implied it.”

He didn't think Harry would tell him if he liked someone, considering they had never talked about anything to do with romantic interests or anything similar. Cedric remembered those times he had tried to bring him and Cho closer so they could get to know each other better, and how nervous and shy Harry had looked. Exactly as if that were the case. Not to mention that the two had become friends and Cedric had seen them talking in the hallways several times, not daring to interrupt them. 

"Maybe he likes you too." 

That thought didn't make him feel any better.

If Harry’s feelings for Cho were long-standing… There was nothing to be done.

HARRY

XXXIX

Mrs. Weasley had done the shopping for school supplies on her own, including Harry's. Although he gave her the money, she only accepted a part that he knew didn't fully cover the expense, claiming that she got a good price discount. So of course she didn't agree with Harry paying for the meals, as he intended to do.

“What is this?” Ron asked, rummaging in the bag. He held up a strange, frilly, pastel-colored robe that looked like something out of one of those old turn-of-the-century novels her aunt used to watch on TV. “It must be Ginny's,” he muttered on his way to return it to his mother, convinced that it was a mistake. 

"It's for you, honey. It was on the list this year. A dress robe.”

"I'm not going to use it.”

“Well, I'm sorry, it's the one I got you.”

Ron went back to his room, annoyed that she'd even considered him wearing something that hideous. Besides, what would they need it for? Harry also had one, which looked quite normal, almost like his usual robes. Whatever it was for, neither of them was eager to discover it.