25.(CH) be careful, they bite

CEDRIC

XLIV

"I’ve heard you're going with Cho to the ball,” Tam placed an arm around Cedric’s shoulders, hugging him happily and smiling as if she herself had gotten the date she had been waiting for a long time.

"As friends," he reminded her, a detail he wasn’t sure that Cho had made clear.

He didn't mind people finding out since they would be seen anyway. 

What he did not like was the thought that it encouraged the misconception that they were a couple or soon to be one. 

"Come on, Cedric, really?” she continued, laughing. "When will you admit it?"

Out of his plans, he blurted out the two words that would make Tam open her mouth in greater surprise than Malcolm's when he heard them. 

What was it that someone saying “I’m gay” made everything weirdly quiet for a second and then people acted like it was something unexpected? 

He had never really shown interest in anyone. 

Tam's first response was, "Does Cho know?"

When he shook his head, she made it her mission to convince Cedric to inform her. It didn't matter that he mentioned how much he had recommended that she attend with someone who could be more than a friend, like a real date and not just friends like the two of them. 

Tam listened with a grimace, not convinced that it counted. "You should still tell her. She may think that…”

The sentence hung in the air.

If she was worried that Cho had a different idea, it would have been easier if Cedric let her know that he was in a relationship with someone else. In the event that he communicated it to Tam, which he did not. Even if Tam wasn't going to insist on finding out who that person was, he knew for sure that anything he talked to her would be like telling Willow, too. 

That's how they were.

Like one of those couples who enjoy gossiping together even if they weren’t officially one —yet. 

Will would want to know, and she would ally with Malcolm and suddenly their very secret relationship wouldn't be secret anymore and the night of the ball wouldn't even have arrived. 

So he would wait to tell the news. 

"I've talked to her and I think she understood," was another of his attempts, a little awkward because Tam's concern was too conspicuous not to be taken seriously. And that could only mean one thing, the very thing Cedric had wanted to dismiss. “But I'll tell her, I promise.” 

With that, she relaxed and took his arm with a sigh of relief. "So am I, by the way. Welcome to the club,” Tam smiled, making Cedric laugh. 

How much he would like to know that the whole world would receive him with such warmth. 

At least he had his group of friends and that was almost enough.

HARRY

L

“Where are you going?” Ron asked as he grabbed the invisibility cloak. 

Harry closed the trunk at the end of his bed and noticed that Seamus was the only one sleeping at ten o'clock at night. Dean looked at him curiously for a moment before continuing to doodle on his sketchbook.

"I'll go try to figure out the clue, maybe search for some reading."

He didn't have to specify that it would be in the forbidden section, judging by the time.