45.(C) a date-that-shouldn't-look-like-a-date

CEDRIC

XXXVII

"That's adorable. I love it. Amazing,” was Will's response when he mentioned that Harry would accompany them to Hogsmeade. "Of course he can come with us."

Cedric laughed, sitting on Tam's bed.

He doubted that Will would get that excited when he spoke to her to make sure she didn't embarrass Harry... 

“So,” Tam murmured, “you're worried about a date-that-shouldn't-look-like-a-date. Correct?"

It was one way of describing it, he supposed.

"How do I do that without…?"

Without everyone knowing it, was what he did not dare to say.

The understanding and soft expression of his friends saddened him.

"Reminds me of when Tam and I used to spend time together before and I was afraid someone would notice how I felt," Will commented, turning to Tam in sorrow. "Even if it was you who noticed."

Tam shook her head, amused. "You weren't obvious at all."

"You weren't," Cedric blurted out and couldn't help but add, "Tam was."

He only dodged the pillow the blonde threw at him because he was expecting it.

XXXVIII

Access to the girls' dorm was not allowed for boys. A valid rule for all houses, but in Hufflepuff they turned a deaf ear. Followers of the rules and all as they were, the empty and unfair legal hole was pointed out on numerous occasions. « And what about guys who are into guys? Or the girls that fancy girls? »

«And friendship really exists!»

«It does exist» would someone emphasize when faced with some expressions of doubt.

There was also the matter of not condemning sexual intercourse. 

Some embarrassing incidents had occurred, and Professor Sprout dealt with it like a true Hufflepuff: with enough honesty to speak about it loud and firm, the empathy and camaraderie to listen to the students, and the flexibility to accept their good arguments.

So Cedric wouldn't get in trouble for being there.

Besides, her roommates didn't mind his presence.

XXXIX

The privacy they had on this occasion was almost impossible to replicate.

"And are you okay with keeping your relationship a secret...?"

Tam sometimes had that ability to ask the right questions.

"I don't know," felt like a pang of sincerity to answer. "It's hard."

"It sucks that you have to hide it," Will frowned. "We, well, when we first started dating we tried for a while, I don't know, to keep our distance? Not to be too obvious? It's not like there are many couples like us…"

"Until we decided to send that to hell." Tam squeezed Wil's hand, smiling. 

"But we know it's not an easy decision," Will continued. "Many people feel like they are entitled to an opinion, and in your case… It's not just the students here. The media, the Tournament, Harry's fame. I think it's a good option to wait."

Leaning back on the bed, Tam made a face. "But if Ced isn't comfortable with it…"

Of all the factors, only one really mattered to him.