57.(CH) hufflepuffs love to gossip

CEDRIC

CIV

On Saturday he left his room to attend breakfast and lunch, although he did not feel particularly hungry. His roommates had plans, so this time he had the space to be alone.

To stir in his bed, under the covers, thinking...

He woke up with the sound of the door, confused because he heard several voices.

Tam sat up on his bed, waving at him and placing her hand on his forehead. "This is what my mother does when I'm sick," she explained when Cedric was caught off guard, and made a face. "I don't know if I should notice anything in particular..."

"Let's see, leave it to me."

Now it was Malcolm who had his palm to his face.

Cedric, still disoriented, got up enough to sit down.

"Have you noticed a difference?" Will questioned, peeking over Malcolm's shoulder. "Does he have a high temperature? Do you feel feverish, Ced?"

"I don't think my hand works as a thermometer."

Tam tried again, while they looked at him expectantly.

Cedric rubbed his eyes. "I'm fine. Maybe a little tired..."

"We brought tea," Will commented. "And muffins and cookies."

"Can you believe that they wanted to take the things from the main table?"

"And what's wrong with that?" Tam placed the tray on the padding, next to Cedric. "How is it that secretly raiding the kitchen is better?"

"Elves have benevolent eyes. And these cookies are not served today."

CV

"I know you can't tell us much about it," Will spoke, unwrapping a muffin. "The rules and all, but how are you doing with the second task?"

"Must be stressful," Tam agreed, sipping from her mug. "It's the 24th, isn't it?"

Malcolm pointed at her with a cookie. "The 24th is soon, very soon."

"I've almost got it figured out," he replied, preferring that they think that was what exhausted him. He exchanged a look with Malcolm, who knew too much to believe it. "All I can tell you is that it won't be much fun to watch."

His best friend wrinkled his face, unaware of his implication. "We didn't see it because it would be fun before."

"We saw it because you're involved," Will agreed.

"Well, the dragon was partly entertaining, I can't lie..."

Despite himself, he laughed at Tam's words.

CVI

When he sat down at the Hufflepuff table early Sunday morning, the first thing Tam did was press the back of her hand against his cheek, then went on in her strange pursuit of checking his temperature.

Which was embarrassing.

"Maybe you should go to the hospital wing," she concluded.

If it meant that she would stay calm, Cedric would.

Even if he knew he wasn't sick.

"Tam's hand is not what we call a good thermometer..."

Malcolm burst out laughing as one of the two smacked him under the table.

CVII

Harry was waiting for him outside the Great Hall.

"You feel bad?" He jumped in his direction as Cedric burst through the door. Then he touched his cheek and rested his knuckles on Cedric's forehead for an instant that caused his face to heat up. "Are you sick with the flu? It's still cold."