48.(CH) I wanted to see you

CEDRIC

LVIII

The first thing he did after entering the classroom was pulling both sides of the scarf around Harry's neck, to place a soft kiss on his lips. One that Harry extended with calm tenderness before hugging him tight.

As if trying to convey something through the gesture. 

Cedric needed words, he wasn't that good at reading between the lines.

“I don't know how to say this, but you have to know the truth."

Without letting go of him, Harry fell into a brief, heavy silence. 

"Did you lie about something...?" Cedric asked then.

Remembering when they confessed their feelings was what kept his composure.

Harry pulled back enough to look at him with a grimace. “Not exactly me, if you get my drift."

"Harry," he spoke on impulse, uncertainty taking over.

Cedric knew there must be a lot of things he kept from him. 

Or was not entirely honest.

Although Cedric had never expected to be one of them. 

LIX

He had died at the hands of Voldemort.

In another timeline. 

The reason that brought that Harry to these times was him.

"Ced, look at me. I won't let, we won't let that happen here."

He listened to Harry's voice, unable to feel the touch of his hands on his.

Cedric saw him as if he were out of his body.

Harry cupped his face, stroking his cheeks with a thumb. "You heard me? There's no way I'm going to lose you. We will come up with a plan."

Then he passed his arms behind Cedric's waist, pulling him into a hug. He was talking, but Cedric could no longer tell one word from the other and barely understood the thoughts that raced through his head as Harry rubbed his back. For a moment he wanted to laugh, because on the way to the classroom he had thought that he'd be the one to comfort Harry with whatever was ailing his mind, and not the other way around.

LX

He didn't think Harry would answer his question about when.

For all the witchcraft in the world, he jumped out of reach.

"I can't believe it," he muttered breathlessly. "I got into this myself. I'm so stupid. I never should have signed up for this tournament. What was I thinking? That it would be a good experience for my resume? That's what I always do, push myself to do things that probably aren't for me."

Harry's hands were the only thing holding him in place.

"Of course you're not stupid. You didn't know."

But he did know...

Malcolm…

Malcolm had warned him, and he didn't listen.

Those dreams. That nightmare. The horrible feeling inside him.

He fell back onto Harry, who caught him in his arms.  

LXI

Taking a deep breath, Cedric stepped back until he stood up on his own.