7.(CH) an (un)expected visit

CEDRIC

XXX

Enthusiasm was what kept all of them with enough energy to discuss and go over the players' moves all the way back to the campsite. Even though Ireland won, everyone agreed that Krum had been the best and found it bittersweet that he was the one to catch the snitch, even when it didn't change their loss. 

It wasn't something that happened often. 

"That was clever of Krum," Harry said. “They would not be able to reach Ireland for three more days. At least they finished with some glory…”

George and Fred were jumping for joy because they had won a bet. By the time they reached the entrance of the campsite, the mood was still elevated but the tiredness made their eyes sleepy and some yawns appeared. Mr. Lovegood headed toward their tent, arm in arm with Luna, and Cedric followed even though he would have liked to stay longer.

How he was still standing was a mystery.

He said good-bye to everyone —and to Harry, in a slightly clumsy way because so many emotions were mixed between his exhaustion and he couldn't manage them. Harry was the only one he half hugged quickly and Cedric wanted to return the brooch he had lent him, but Harry didn't accept it. 

“It's yours, for good luck. And I had two anyway,” he said when Cedric tried to coax him a second time. 

Shamrock in hand, Cedric left with a smile he could barely feel.

XXXI

Cedric woke up in the middle of the night. 

No, someone woke him up. His father was shaking his shoulder insistently. 

He was so tired... 

“Cedric, get up. We have to go.”

"Go?" he hesitated, sitting up on the bed. "Go where?" 

"Something happened... and I must evacuate you for your own safety."

A few hours of sleep didn’t allow Cedric to take that as seriously and urgently as it was required. His father urged him to pack some of his belongings and assured that he would bring the rest another time before directing Ceric towards the living room. 

Mr. Lovegood and a narrow-eyed Luna were there, ready.

He was suddenly very worried.

“What happened?”

It took a moment for his father to respond.

“Some hooded wizards are… attacking a muggle family.”

And then he grabbed Cedric by the arm and they apparated to his house.

XXXII 

Amos disappeared after leaving Mr. Lovegood and Luna in the kitchen. Since Cedric still had doubts about what had happened, he asked again out loud. The answer, however, was even more alarming.

Death Eaters. 

An unpleasant feeling invaded his stomach.

Like the sudden and lonely host that he was, Cedric offered his guests a space to sleep.

Then he settled into his bed, unable to sleep.

"It sounds horrible," Luna murmured into the mattress on the floor of his room. Cedric couldn't say anything either as she glanced at him. “You must be so worried. Your friends are there. They… They’ll be fine.”