18.(HC) if we weren't friends

HARRY

XVIII

Just two weeks to go until the first task.

Cedric didn't know what to do either, but at least he was investigating.

Harry was at zero and his strategy of trying not to worry at all was beginning to fail. Because he would have to face the challenge. It wasn't something he could decide not to participate in or do as passively or as minimally as possible. And he would be risking his life anyway, even with the supposed security measures. 

He wondered if they would let someone die… or if they would do something about it.

Now in their usual meetings in the classroom he did discuss Tournament matters with Cedric, expressing their concerns, thinking about the spells that could be useful and practicing. However, it wasn't enough to reassure either of them. 

CEDRIC

XXIII

He had stayed up late reading a book.

One that probably wouldn't have the solution to his problems.

First you had to know them… 

Will and Tam hurried them to breakfast so they could say hello to Cho.

Tam almost jumped at her at the door. "Sweet sixteen! What do you want to do today?"

"You could all come to my common room in the afternoon," Cho said, sounding more like a question than a statement. "Marietta and some of my friends will be there."

They confirmed their attendance before leaving for classes.

HARRY

XIX

"Happy birthday," he managed to greet Cho as he passed on his way to the Great Hall at noon.

She smiled at him. "Thanks, Harry."

He hardly took a bite at lunch.

Even when Hermione had been urging him to practice some new charms, he didn't know what good they could do. 

Ron arrived late and took place next to Harry. "Hagrid told me to tell you to see him today at seven," he said quietly. "Bring your cloak with you."

"Do you know what it is about?"

"I don't know, he didn't say."

Perhaps he would need help with some creature? 

In the Forbidden Forest? It wouldn’t be the first time.

CEDRIC

XXIV

After the last class of the afternoon, Malcolm had almost run to Fred when he noticed his figure in the distance. Like a lurking predator, he tried to get closer again. Cedric wasn't sure that strategy was going to make Malcolm look as anything else than a stalker, but he refused to give up.

Cedric continued to wander the halls contemplating whether or not to spend the remaining hour until Cho's party in the library. 

He headed up to the fourth floor, looking around for Harry.

It had been two days since they last spoke, so it would be nice if…

Black hair caught his attention. Cho was standing by a window with a notebook in hand, all alone, which surprised Cedric as he approached her.