19.(HC) we are a disaster

HARRY

XXIV

There was something fishy about the twins. 

Usually it was about one of their projects. Nothing personal, except that they fled at the sight of Harry. So he ended up confronting them in the common room. "Drop it. Whatever it is."

No surprise that they immediately denied it. "Harry, it's nothing. Really."

"You've been looking at me in a kind of weird way," he had to point out. "I'm used to that from other people, but you two? Tell me what you are up to."

And then they confessed. “It's a rumor."

"Remember how we told you that Hufflepuffs like to place bets?"

Harry nodded, not quite understanding what it implied. 

“Well, there is one…” Fred continued, speaking low and lingering on each word, “regarding Cho and Cedric. And when will they be together…"

"And now, rumor has it that they already are…"

“They were seen together in a hallway recently."

“I heard something about some bracelets too, with their initials engraved."

"Evidence pointing to them being a couple. It's just that they've kept it a secret."

Harry listened in complete silence.

George put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry... That's why we didn't want to tell you…"

"Besides, it's a rumor. It may not even be true. When are they true, huh?"

Their attempts to cheer him up were the main reason Harry held his expression high, thanking them for the heads up and acting as if it wasn't a big deal.

Pretending he had more pressing matters that rearranged his priorities.

Otherwise, why would he feel sad about something like this when he had to find a way to survive against a dragon? 

XXV

On second thought, Harry wasn't surprised.

Somehow, early on he realized how good Cho and Cedric would look together. The perfect couple they’d make. Both smart, beautiful and popular people who had been friends for years.

A story that made so much sense that it would even be predictable. 

The obvious choice.

So he couldn't say he didn't see it coming because deep down he always knew.

He couldn't feel any kind of jealousy either. 

Cho was an amazing girl and she would certainly be great for him.

What could Harry offer? He wasn't even sure if he would pass the first task.

XXVI

Even Hagrid noticed how unhappy he was, because five minutes into his cabin, he asked, "Has something happened, Harry? Or is it because of the task…? Dragons are majestic creatures, but I wouldn't want to face one either. I can help you if you want, even if I don't know much about spells. I recommend that your strategy, whatever it is, does not involve getting closer than ten meters. Because of the fire, you know.”

Harry’s lack of response was because he was contemplating whether to tell Hagrid or not...

"It's not about that," he admitted, even though it was one of his problems.