17.(CH) those silly badgers

CEDRIC

XVII

If someone told Cedric that he was popular, he couldn't deny it anymore.

People he had never spoken to greeted or congratulated him even weeks after he was selected. They stared at him in the halls, asked for autographs and the strangest thing: from time to time a girl (or group of girls) would come near, sometimes finding Cedric alone, to hold the most uncomfortable conversation. 

The way… how they would suggest seeing each other later.

As in a date?

Cedric had managed to say no politely.

It was so much easier when Malcolm was there to answer.

"Why are you speaking for him?" one of them got upset one day. "Who are you, his boyfriend?"

"He can only wish," Malcolm replied, amused while taking his arm.

Before they could walk away, the girl addressed Cedric, "Are you gay?"

"That's not something you ask people just like that!" his best friend was outraged. "You don't go through life just asking everyone their sexual orientation…"

He hurried Cedric to continue on their way, but he still managed to hear the other girl speak. "I think he's dating Cho Chang, that's why he said no." 

The only reason that kept Cedric from turning around was Malcolm’s grip. 

"What are you doing?"

"Go clear it up."

Wasn't it obvious? He wasn't in a relationship with Cho and he didn't like people to think otherwise.

"Do you want them to go around saying you're gay?" Malcolm questioned with all the seriousness in the world. 

And with all certainty, Cedric admitted it. "I am."

"What? I didn't know."

Cedric laughed, relieved. "Me neither, but it makes sense."

"Are you telling me that of all the people I thought you would look good with, I was 50% wrong? I thought you were bisexual, not gay,” he said, frowning until his expression relaxed. "Not that there's a problem with it, of course. Have you told anyone else?"

He shook his head.

"Do you want to tell the others?" Malcolm asked, referring to the rest of their friends.

More than a couple of times he had thought about it.

"I don't know if I should. You never told me. Neither did Tam nor Will, but we suspect it anyway."

Malcolm nodded, listening attentively until he opened his mouth in surprise. “Merlin, we are a group of homosexual people." 

Cedric burst out laughing.

"You're gay. I’m bi. Tam, I bet she's a lesbian. Will I'm in doubt... but bi. Do you think Cho is too?"

He stopped to think about it for a moment...

"I have no clue. I don't think so, but you never know, right?"

“True,” Malcolm agreed.

XVIII

When Cedric told Malcolm about Harry later, he already suspected it.

"I saw you last year talking to him at the end of the year, and you looked super nervous. And you never look nervous," was the response of his best friend to his question about how he had thought of it. He wondered if it was related to his premonitions or if it was just too obvious, hoping it was more the former than the latter. "Also because you two look so good together, the Boy Who Lived and the Pretty Boy. Who'd have thought. Besides me, of course."