73.(CH) my boy

CEDRIC

XXXIX

The first thing he thought was that something bad had happened. 

He ran through the halls and transported the muffin to the trash with a spell. 

As he entered he ran into Hermione, Ron and…

Harry.

In his school uniform.

Cedric tried to hide his heavy breathing and compose himself, a futile attempt since he was ashamed he was late, sweaty and confused. 

"He's been discharged," Hermione explained, holding several books, "and has to come back after lunch for another checkup. And tomorrow."

"He has to go to class, which sucks," Ron muttered, and when he received a reproving look from her, he nudged Harry. "But it does make me happy, huh. Classes are torture without my best friend. Wow, I wouldn't even stand them if not…"

Cedric had an experience with that look on Hermione's face…

So he understood it.

Relieved that his deplorable physical condition without the regular Quidditch matches was ignored, he focused on Harry, curious as to whether he found the news as good as Ron. He didn't say a word and walked with his head down.

As they stepped out into the busy hallway, Harry suddenly grabbed Cedric's arm.

A little too hard.  

People looked at him and they remained outside the door. As if he was aware of his hold, Harry started to release him and Cedric placed a hand on the back of his. 

As a kind of way of telling him that it was okay. 

This shouldn't be easy for him.

"Do you want to go to class?" Cedric asked them both. "I'll talk to Harry for a moment and I'll walk him to the classroom."

Hermione made a face and Ron, who he thought would agree, walked closer.

"Are you okay, mate?" he murmured to Harry, frowning uneasily.

“Yeah, yeah, I just, uh, I missed my boy."

His answer caused a brief, intense burn to Cedric's cheeks.

Ron's eyes widened in surprise for a second, and he nodded. "See you in class then. I'll wait for you."

"He knows, doesn't he?" Harry asked when they were gone. "I remember Hermione saying it but…"

"Yes, he knows. It seems to me that you're not" —Cedric smiled— "that open about missing your boyfriend in general. With them."

The students were scattering, and he led Harry to the right.

"Do you think it was out of character? And that Ron will suspect…?"

"No," he immediately answered with confidence. "I don't think so."

Harry shrugged. "I think it's something I would say if I were so lucky," he said under his breath, and Cedric, who was hesitating about what to say, was distracted when he quickly questioned. "Do other people know? About you two."

"We haven't made it official. There are some rumors though."

Also bets and who knows what  else.

"It's better that way."

This time he couldn't ignore the comment. "Why do you said so?"

Harry took a moment. "Because that way we don't have to pretend we're a couple."