XVIII

Narrator

Haerin's 18th birthday had gone over like any other miserable day. She had actually skipped school that day to avoid Dani and she made sure to tell the facility staff that she wasn't accepting any visitors unless it was Y/n.

After meeting Mr. Lee, Haerin started to have hope that maybe Y/n would look for her or at least send her a letter or something to let her know that they were okay....

But Haerin got nothing that day.

So, Haerin went back to thinking that Y/n really didn't care.

- Haerin POV -

Graduation wasn't as bad as I thought. If anything I felt relieved to finally move on with my life.

"Wooaahhh, it's finally over!!" Danielle cheered as we threw our hats in the air.

I couldn't stop myself from smiling a little. Dani was the only one person who could make me smile within the last few months.

I felt bad at times, though. I didn't like Danielle like I had before. She was sweet and always made me feel loved, but life had turned me too bitter to be able to return the same feelings.

"Congratulations!" Minji unnie ran up to hug us.

"Picture?" Hanni unnie asked from behind her.

After trying for so long, I finally forgave Hanni for what she did. It wasn't entirely her fault, if I hadn't told her that I was scared... then maybe Y/n could have been here with us too...

"Uh, catch!" Minji unnie suddenly tossed something at me.

It was car keys.

"Your graduation present just arrived, wanna go take a look?" Hanni unnie asked.

Dani and I looked at each other a bit curious and ran out to the school parking lot to see what car my unnie's ended up getting for me.

I really didn't want a car, but they insisted that it was what Grandma wanted.

My jaw dropped when Dani and I finally found my new car by its horn.

It was Y/n's dream car

"Oh, you found it!" Hanni and Minji unnie came running behind us.

"That's Y/n's dream car," I mumbled under my breath.

"Come on. Take a look inside!" Minji unnie opened the driver's door for me.

I got inside the car a bit excited and looked around it a bit. It was actually pretty cool.

I pulled the sun visor down to check if I was crying and a note suddenly fell out of it.

"I hope you like it," was written on it.

"That's Y/n's writing," I whispered under my breath.

I quickly got out the car and started to look around the vicinity. Minji and Hanni unnie had been seating in the crowd the entire graduation ceremony, there was no way one of them dropped the car off.

"Hey, what's the matter?" Hanni unnie suddenly asked.

"Where are they?" I angrily asked.

"What?" Minji unnie looked at me confused.

"Where's Y/n?! I know this is their handwriting. Where are they?!" I raised my voice at them.

"Y/n isn't here, Haerin. Just relax," Dani tried to get me to calm down.

"No! It was Y/n who was supposed to buy me a car for graduation and this is their handwriting. This is Y/n's dream car. It's all too much a coincidence for it to not have been Y/n's idea. So, where are they and don't lie to me?!" I yelled at my unnies.

"Haerin, we're telling you the truth. We don't know where Y/n is," Minji unnie sternly responded.

I took a deep breath out of stress and ran my fingers through my hair.

I looked around a bit more, feeling like I was going crazy, until I caught sight of someone looking at us. Before I could make out who it was, the person turned around and walked away.

- Y/N POV -

I stood a bit to the side to get a glimpse of Haerin's reaction to her new car. She looked a lot happier than she did on her birthday.

"Guess she likes it," I whispered to myself.

I had sent Minji a postcard that I would be the one to pick Haerin's graduation gift.

I didn't want Haerin getting a small car where she could get hurt if she got in an accident. I also didn't want Haerin to pick a car that was too impossible to maintain. So, I wanted to be the one to pick the car out for her.

I went over to the dealership, picked out a car I liked, and dropped it off at the school. Once I finally spotted Hanni and Minji in the crowd of parents, I gave a kid 20 bucks to run the keys over to Minji.

Hanni and Minji didn't hesitate to do as I asked. Even though, my instructions were very vague.

I was just about to leave the vicinity, when I suddenly heard Haerin start to yell.

"Where's Y/n?! I know this is their handwriting. Where are they?!" She yelled.

"I didn't think she'd recognize it," I mumbled to myself.

I had left Haerin a note hoping she wouldn't know it was me, but I guess I was wrong.

I watched the commotion go down for a bit.

Haerin had caught on that I had been keeping an eye on her and finally caught sight of me. I quickly turned around and left the area, hoping she didn't actually see anything.

To be honest, I was too scared to face Haerin.

I had royally fucked up and let her down.

I had let her down so bad that it was probably best if I just stayed away from her and didn't allow anyone to know where I was.

I didn't need anyone telling her my whereabouts.

My visitors band had been lifted the second Haerin turned 18, because it was her decision on if she wanted me in her life or not....

But I was too scared to face her and be rejected.

I wouldn't want someone around who failed to protect me and failed to keep their promise.

I'm sure Haerin probably felt a similar way.

"It's best if I stay away from her for a bit," I thought to myself as I made my way back home.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Author's Note: If you were Haerin, would you be mad at Y/n?  ._.