XXXIII

Narrator

The first day of the end year ended up being pretty nice for all the girls, considering that they were all trying to avoid some uncomfortable feelings.

"Wanna switch seat so you don't have to seat next to the window?" Hanni asked Y/n as their boarded their plane to go back home.

"Yeah, if that's cool with you!" Y/n awkwardly replied.

Y/n didn't like seating next to the window too much.

The entire flight back, everyone was asleep. There was this unspoken massive hangover that everyone had.

- Haerin POV -

"Bye, thank you so much!" I shyly hugged Minji unnie goodbye.

We had dropped off Hanni unnie and Hyein on the way.

"Umm, I better go," Dani awkwardly said.

"You don't want to stay over?" I asked a bit clueless.

"No, thanks," Dani responded with a look in Y/n's direction.

I realized then that things were different now. At least they would be for a while.

"Okay, well I got to go home. I have some things I need to work on," Y/n suddenly pulled me into a hug.

"Wait, you're leaving?" I asked a bit confused.

"Yeah, I have some pending things I need to take care of," Y/n kissed my forehead goodbye.

"Umm, okay," I answered a bit upset.

I thought that once we got home, Y/n and I would figure out whatever was going on between us. I didn't expect Y/n to just go home right away.

"Umm, a-actually... can I come sleep over?" I stuttered out of nervousness.

I wasn't ready to be apart from Y/n. Specially not after Dani and I broke up.

"I'm actually pretty tired and I have to get up really early for something tomorrow. But, I'll give you a call when I have some free time," Y/n said as they waved me goodbye.

"Umm, okay," I started to feel my heart ache a bit.

"Bye, take care!" Minji unnie gave me another hug goodbye.

"Call me if you need anything," Dani kindly said before walking off.

I watched as everyone left and I started to realized that for once in my life....

I was completely alone.

- Minji POV -

"You're a complete idiot!" I immediately started to scold Y/n when we got in my car.

"What did I do?!" Y/n answered like the clueless idiot they were.

I sighed out in annoyance.

I had always liked Y/n for taking care of things and being independent, but it's like they had forgotten what the hell their real priorities were.

"The girl gives you one kiss and all of a sudden you don't know how to act?" I smacked Y/n's arm.

"Ooww! Wait- you saw?" Y/n looked a bit shocked.

"Yeah, we all did. It's not like she didn't openly kiss you in front of everyone," I rolled my eyes from how stupid Y/n was being.

"Okay, but I still don't get what you're getting at!" Y/n sighed out of frustration.

"Guess Y/n really is clueless when it comes to relationships," I thought to myself.

"She wanted to spend time with you and you completely rejected her. I thought you could pick up on these signs and you were the Haerin expert and everything," I was still super annoyed.

"I mean, I just figured she'd hangout with Dani or something. Plus, I'm really tired and I'll be busy tomorrow. I have to wake up at 6 in the morning," Y/n was being pretty rational but they still didn't get the point.

"I mean, I get it. But what happened to taking care of Haerin's needs no matter what or making time for her?" I sighed out.

Y/n's head seemed to drop and they took a deep breath. "She doesn't need me like that anymore. She's grown up a lot," they explained.

I took a deep breath, knowing that Y/n had felt so rejected by Haerin for the last few months.

"You don't know that," I tried to comfort them.

"But I do. She doesn't need me like before. She's much stronger and doesn't cry every time I leave anymore. She's changed," Y/n started to sulk.

"Just because she doesn't visibly cry anymore doesn't mean she doesn't need you. Just because she's gotten stronger in some ways doesn't mean she can handle everything on her own. You and your grandma are Haerin's only sense of connection to somebody on this earth... and... your grandma is gone now. Haerin only has you," I tried to explain.

In my eyes, Haerin was still the kid who needed to be in Y/n's arms in order to feel safe. Yes, she was stronger, but that didn't mean she didn't need someone.

Whatever was going on between Haerin and Y/n was between them, but I wasn't just going to let Y/n abandon Haerin emotionally over the fact that Y/n felt insecure about their position in her life.

- Y/N POV -

"You and your grandma are Haerin's only sense of connection to somebody on this earth... and... your grandma is gone now. Haerin only has you," Minji tried to explain things to me.

It always felt like Minji just understood me without me having to explain.

It felt like she was starting to scold me because of my lack of relationship experience, but she pulled the bigger picture out for me.

Whether I like it or not, Haerin was connected to me for life and I couldn't let my insecurities get in the way of that. I had abandoned Haerin for that exact same reason in the past, but I wasn't going to do it again.

- Haerin POV -

I was doing my best to hold back my tears, but I couldn't.

"Hey!" I suddenly heard someone say from the front door.

I looked up in fear that I had an intruder, but sighed of relief when I realized it was Y/n.

"I guess my key still works," Y/n took a deep breath.

"You came back home!" I cried out and immediately ran into Y/n's arms.

Without fail, Y/n lifted me up in their arms and held me tightly.

"I'm sorry I took so long to come back for you," Y/n whispered.

I couldn't hold my emotions back anymore and I just started wailing with painful tears running down my cheeks.

"Wanna come sleep over?" Y/n suddenly asked.

I swallowed the knot on my throat and sniffled to try to calm down, before shyly nodding "yes".

"Great! I just have some things to do, is that okay?" Y/n cutely whipped my tears for me.

I didn't care anymore.

I didn't care if Y/n didn't even pay attention to me. Just being near them was enough to keep me at peace.

"Mhm, but- umm...," I couldn't get my request out.

"What is it, Froggie?" Y/n kissed my forehead.

"I need help with my homework," I sniffled a bit embarrassed.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-