How the tables have turned!

TW: Racism

Tavàri and Gabriel arrive in Danos. Danos is mostly populated by Tieflings, Fire elementals and other creatures that do well in the heat of the Danos desert. For once Gabriel is met with racism while Tavàri is treated like a noble. This is a rare and unexpected situation for both of them, as they are used to the opposite treatment in most places. Tavàri enjoys the attention and respect she receives from her fellow Tieflings, while Gabriel tries to hide his annoyance and discomfort. He is not used to being looked down upon or insulted for his pointy ears and fair skin. He wonders how Tavàri can endure such prejudice on a daily basis. He also wonders if she is secretly laughing at him for being in his shoes for once.

"Welcome, welcome, Lady Tavàri!" a tiefling merchant greets them as they enter his shop. "What can I do for you today? Anything you need, I can provide. And for a very reasonable price, of course."

"Thank you, kind sir," Tavàri replies with a smile. "I'm just looking for some supplies for our journey. Nothing too fancy or expensive."

"Of course, of course. You have come to the right place. I have everything you need and more. Please, take your time and browse my wares. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask."

The merchant then turns to Gabriel and gives him a disdainful look.

"And who is this?" he asks with a sneer. "Your servant? Your pet? Your prisoner?"

Gabriel clenches his jaw and tries to ignore the insult.

"He is none of those things," Tavàri says calmly. "He is my companion and friend. And he deserves your respect as much as I do."

The merchant scoffs and shakes his head.

"Respect? For an elf? Don't make me laugh, Lady Tavàri. You are too kind and generous for your own good. Elves are nothing but trouble. They are arrogant, selfish, and deceitful. They think they are better than everyone else, but they are not. They are weak, fragile, and pathetic. They have no place in this world, let alone in this kingdom."

Gabriel feels a surge of anger rising in his chest. He is about to say something, but Tavàri puts a hand on his shoulder and stops him.

"Let it go, Gabriel," she whispers in his ear. "He is not worth it. He is just ignorant and narrow-minded. He doesn't know any better."

Gabriel sighs and nods. He decides to keep his distance from her and avoid any unnecessary interactions with the locals.

"Tavàri," he says quietly after they leave the shop. "How do you deal with this kind of racism on a daily basis? How do you not let it get to you?"

Tavàri smiles sadly and shrugs.

"I guess I'm used to it by now," she says. "I've faced it all my life, ever since I was a child. I've learned to ignore it, laugh it off, or fight back when necessary. I've learned to find strength in myself, and in the people who care about me. I've learned to appreciate the beauty and diversity of the world, despite the ugliness and hatred of some people."

She looks at him with compassion and understanding.

"I know it's hard for you, Gabriel," she says. "You're not used to being treated this way. You're used to being respected and admired for your intelligence and skills. You're used to being accepted and welcomed wherever you go."

She takes his hand and squeezes it gently.

"But don't let them get to you," she says. "Don't let them make you feel less than what you are. Don't let them change who you are or how you see the world. You are amazing, Gabriel. You are brave, loyal, and kind. You are my friend, and I'm proud of you."

Gabriel feels a warm glow in his chest but quickly suppresses it and pulls his hand away.

"Thank you, Tavàri," he says. "I am grateful for you."

They then continue their walk through the town.

They hope they can leave this kingdom as soon as possible.

Watch out! Someday you might find yourself walking a mile in someone else's shoes! <3 ^^