Bare bones of the past.

TW: Animal ab^s&

Tavàri and Gabriel had been travelling for days, looking for a safe place to hide from their enemies. They had escaped from a city where they had been hired to kill a noble, but the job had gone wrong and they had been exposed. Now they were hunted by the guards, the noble's allies, and their former employer.

They had two horses, Bones and Bless, who carried their supplies and weapons. Tavàri also had a pet wolf pup, Luna, who she had found alone in the forest. Bones was a black stallion with a white skull on his forehead, who was calm and obedient, but had a rebellious streak in him too.

They set up camp in a clearing in the forest, near a stream. Tavàri lit a fire and cooked some meat they had hunted earlier. Gabriel tended to Luna, Bless and Bones. They ate in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

Tavàri and Gabriel retired to their tents, leaving the horses tied to a tree. Bones was restless. He had a nightmare about his past as a farm horse when he was ab^s&d by his owner before being sold to a merchant who then sold him to Tavàri. He dreamed of the whip that cracked on his back, the spurs that dug into his sides, the harsh words that stung his ears. He dreamed of the hunger that gnawed at his stomach, the thirst that parched his throat, and the fatigue that weighed on his limbs. He dreamed of the fear that gripped his heart, the pain that filled his mind, the despair that clouded his soul. He whinnied in fear and pain, thrashing his hooves.

Bless heard him and neighed softly, trying to calm him down. He nudged him gently with his nose, reassuring him that he was safe now. He reminded him of how Tavàri had bought him from the merchant, how she had cared for him and given him a new name. He told him that he had a new family now, with Tavàri, Gabriel, Luna, and himself. He told him that he was free now, free to roam the world with them.

Bones gradually relaxed. He felt Bless's warmth and kindness. He felt Tavàri's love and gratitude. He felt Gabriel's respect and trust. He felt Luna's friendship and joy. He felt happy. He snuggled closer to Bless and opened his eyes. He saw Tavàri, Luna and Gabriel sitting by the fire and Bless standing next to him. No one could sleep tonight. Instead, they sat quietly and enjoyed each other's company.

Still waiting for the plot to kick in? So am I! <3^^