chapter 1 - the new rookie

I wipe the sweat from my forehead with the back of my hand as I flop onto my new bed. It's my first day as a rookie in Task Force 141. After completing my training as a nurse and spending a few years helping people and caring for them at the hospital in Berlin, I realized I wanted more out of life. I've always been a gym rat and in good shape. As my father was a hunter in the Brandenburg forests where I grew up, I was surrounded by guns from an early age. They have always fascinated me in a somewhat unsettling way, as they can be so simple, yet so fatal. Thank God we have gun safety laws in Germany, I think to myself as I stare at the gray concrete ceiling above me and sink into my thoughts.

On my 21st birthday, I decided to join the Bundeswehr. From then on, my career in the military developed. In the following years, I was in several military organizations and proved to be quite talented, especially because of my marksmanship. My medical knowledge was another advantage. I fought my way to the top of the best and was briefed for individual missions and served as a secret weapon, as women are often not seen in this male-dominated field. I smile when I think about what I have achieved so far despite my gender. I am now 26 years old and have achieved my goal. I'm in Task Force 141. Hard to believe... I'm in Task For- I think to myself as I'm suddenly torn from my thoughts by a knock on my door frame. I push myself up from the bed with my elbows and look at the door.

"Oh, hi Liam," I say kindly. He's another rookie I've already met.

"Hey, Anja. Have you finished unpacking? We want to take a closer look at the base camp," he says as he leans relaxed against the door frame.

I nod and get up and put on my boots. "Sure, I'll be right behind you," I reply and Liam nods and starts walking down the hall.

As I get up from the bed, I step in front of the small mirror on my wall. I start to tie my long black hair into a ponytail and smooth out some of the hair that is sticking out. Then I take a deep breath and say quietly to myself: "Alright, I guess that means it's officially on." Then I put my cell phone in my fanny pack of my black hoodie and close my door behind me as I step into the hallway. I take a quick look around and make my way to the other rookies.