chapter 11 - könig

König's POV

As the coffee drips through the fully automatic machine into the cup, I stare out of the window at the sports field. The rookies are doing their morning lap and of course my eyes land directly on Anja. How could they not?

I groan. I watch her ponytail swing from left to right as she runs and talks to the other rookies. I wish I could take a handful and force her to look me in the eye.

After Anja and I kissed and Ghost tried to have a conversation with me, he again advised me to stay away from her. When I didn't understand why this was so damn important to him, he confessed to me that he had feelings for her too.

A few days ago.

"Fuck man, no! You can't do that," I said. "We've been best friends for years and now you're telling me we like the same girl? I hope you're joking." I knew for a fact that Ghost almost never jokes.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Ghost asks seriously. He sighs. "Look, I think it's best if we both keep our distance. Besides, it's only fair... I mean..."

"Only fair? Only fair?" I ask angrily. "Jesus Christ, Ghost!" I groan in frustration.

After a few seconds of silence, Ghost speaks.

"Listen... I know this isn't easy, man."

"Yeah, you're right, it's not at all".

Ghost sighs, "... At least... At least we're in this together?" he says, the right corner of his mouth twitching upwards.

I exhale deeply and look at him seriously for a few seconds. Then I nod. "Okay. We'll talk about that later."

We move away from the front door of the gym and walk towards our private rooms. Then I smirk and poke Ghost with my elbow. "So you actually can joke, you grumpy old man."

Since then, out of respect for Ghost, I haven't said a word to Anja and have avoided her as much as possible. Hopefully watching her and having wet dreams is not forbidden. I chuckle. Those hips. Oh God. I start to make the second coffee. I just can't stop smiling when I see this woman. What the hell is that, man?

I take the two coffees and walk back to Ghost's office. As I enter, I see him standing by the window. He's watching her, just like I did. Despite my mask, I try to stifle a grin.

"Enjoying the view?" I ask mischievously and put his coffee on the table.

Ghost turns to me and groans in annoyance.

"Sorry." I say briefly. "Hey man, tonight at this event...thing..."

Ghost sighs and slumps into his chair. He takes the scalding hot coffee and just drinks it. He just drinks it. No matter how much time I spend with him, sometimes even I get scared. "Just don't remind me."

I grin and nod. Then my expression turns serious. "We'll see her there. And she'll probably ask me why I'm ignoring her."

"Then keep ignoring her."

"Ghost... I can't..."

"Yes, you bloody can. That's exactly what you can do." he says so angrily that I gulp.

"She has feelings. Okay? She deserves to know why I'm ignoring her right now." When I mention her feelings, Ghost breaks eye contact with me and blinks.

"Not a word about me. Make something up. But don't blow my cover."

I nod and take a few steps back. "Alright. Then... see you later." I say, also a little irritated by the situation and Ghost's stubbornness. I take my coffee and leave my office.