chapter 14 - confusion

When I suddenly hear loud laughter from one of the tables, I look over. Ghost and König seem visibly amused. Seeing the two of them laughing warms my heart. I almost have to remind myself that I'm angry at them. How can they just push me away and carry on as if nothing had happened? Especially König. He's the one I'm most angry at. Although Ghost is almost certainly the driving wedge. I exhale deeply. Lost in my thoughts, I shudder briefly as Ghost's and my eyes meet. Fuck. Caught. Great job Anja. His gaze is warmer than usual and... is that...? I can hardly interpret it. Either lust or hate. What an irony that would be if he... No. Never. I smile in my mind that this train of thought came to me. When König looks at me, I notice a similar look. I swallow and make myself turn away.

The event goes by faster than expected and Liam and Nick are relatively drunk. They say goodbye to me and stagger off towards their accommodation, laughing. I finish my glass of wine and make my way outside. The forecourt is empty and most of the guests are either already in their rooms or in the hall. I lost König and Ghost after our eyes crossed. I take a few steps and shiver, as it's surprisingly cold outside and I don't have a jacket with me. Suddenly, a rough and dark male voice sounds from the wall of the building next to me.

"Aren't you dressed a bit too cold?" Ghost.

"Why do you care?" I ask, annoyed, as I turn to him and see him leaning against the wall of the building. I hear a slightly amused chuckle. And a second one. König. My eyes meet his as he steps out of the shadows next to Ghost. Shit, I always forget how tall he is.

"Why do we care, Anja?" he asks, as if I've asked a stupid question.

Us? I cross my arms in front of me. "Oh, you're talking to me again?" I ask challengingly.

I hear another chuckle from Ghost, who shakes his head in amusement. König, on the other hand, clenches his hands into fists. He sighs. "Anja..." He sounds irritated and angry.

"What, huh? Do you do this every year? Is this a fucking joke to you?" I blurt out. I've just been pushed away from him, I'm angry and I want to know what's going on. Completely enraged, I take a few steps towards him so that I'm standing right in front of him, looking up at him. I see anger and shame in his eyes. "How many rookie girls do you hook up with every year, huh?" I ask as I press my index finger against his chest. He just looks at me with an angry expression. Ghost next to him looks nonchalant and continues to lean against the wall.

"Anja, it's not that, I-" he begins, but I interrupt him.

"No, I don't need your apology. I was a trophy for you and I'm glad it was just a kiss. How can you just-" I say in a shaky voice and suddenly I'm interrupted by Ghost.

"That's enough," he says sternly. "It's not König's fault. Stop it." he says as he turns to me. I turn to him and say "Oh it isn't?" I chuckle in disbelief. "Then you're the black sheep, am I right? Couldn't stand the fact that the only person who's nice to you is turning his attention to someone else?" I ask angrily, but I'm completely wrong. Ghost stares at me angrily and his eyes widen and I think, if looks could kill, that would have been the end of me. When he doesn't answer I say, "Must suck to be so incredibly stubborn all the time and not let anyone get to you. When everyone turns away from you because other people are more fun-" I'm interrupted again. Ghost grabs me by the shoulders and pushes me against the wall. As I bounce against it, I feel tears well up in my eyes. Ghost holds me tight, his big strong hands pressing into my upper arms.

"Shut the fuck up!" he shouts at me.

"Hey, Ghost chill." says König and as soon as he makes a move in our direction, Ghost gives him a look that says „keep your distance". I notice how fast Ghost is breathing. Like he just ran a marathon. I swallow as he looks me in the eye again.

"Anja, you're completely wrong. You stupid little girl." he says, sounding like a madman.

I press my thighs together. I've definitely read too many romance books. "Oh yeah?! Then explain it to me!" I say angrily.

"Anja... he can't-" König begins in a calm voice.

"I can't keep it to myself anymore that it's not just König who has feelings for you." Ghost suddenly says in a low, calm voice and his grip loosens.

I swallow. König looks at him at least as shocked as I am, probably because he's surprised himself that Ghost just revealed that to me.

"W-what?" I ask quietly, shocked. Ghost takes a step back and takes his hands off me. I think I'm going to be sick.

"Just like König, I feel something for you, Anja," he says dryly as he looks me in the eye, no, in the soul, and puts his hands in his pockets. I look back and forth between the two of them, confused, and suddenly it all becomes too much for me. My heart is hammering against my chest and I feel like I can't breathe.

"I'm sorry... I..." I say. I have to get out of here. I have to leave here. This can't be happening. I brush between Ghost and König and run to my accommodation. König turns to me and I hear him call after me.

"Let her go," Ghost says sternly. König listens to him and kicks a stone away.

As I enter the accommodation, I run through the hallway. I need someone to talk to now. Otherwise I'll burst. I can't keep this to myself. This... I yank open the door to Liam's room without knocking. Shit. Liam and Nick are both standing in front of each other, shirtless, interrupting their kiss. What the hell? Looks like everyone here is hiding something.

"Shit! I'm sorry... I... I didn't see anything!" I say frantically and embarrassed.

Nick and Liam grin sheepishly. "It's okay, it happens. But please don't tell anyone." Liam says, his look showing that he's still a little drunk. I nod and close the door. Then I take a deep breath and go to my own room. I throw myself on the bed and pull the covers up to my chin. What's going on today? I feel like I'm in a teenage romance drama. Unfortunately, I'm the female main character.