chapter 12 - here's to a good time

We rookies are training self-defense in the small sports room. Liam and Nick are trying to beat each other up on the mat and while Nick is being held in a headlock by Liam, he laughingly shouts "I'm not tapping out! Forget it!"

"Nick! I don't want to crush you, just give up already!"

"... Never!" he replies and we other rookies watch them laughing.

I roll my eyes and grin. As I look at my watch, I realize that it's only two hours until the military event starts. There will be lots of famous people there and, of course, us rookies. And König and Ghost. I swallow. I haven't seen or spoken to either of them for days. Assholes. It might be best to stay away from those two. I'm angry anyway that I was just left standing there with nothing explained to me. You want to ignore me? Fine. I can do that too. I finish my inner monologue when suddenly a hand lands on my shoulder. It's Liam.

"Well, Butcher?" My new nickname. "Lost in thought again?" he asks, a little concerned.

"Oh, um, no. Well, yes. But it's all good," I say with a smile.

"It's not about a certain colonel, is it?" he asks teasingly.

My eyes widen. "What?! No! Oh God..." I reply and blush. I feel like I've been caught.

"It's okay." he laughs: "But eyes don't lie, believe me."

After the training session, I take a shower and start getting ready for the event. It's going to be very formal. Men are lucky, they wear their good military uniforms designed for formal occasions and their badges. And women? I groan with irritation as I dry my hair and stand in front of my bed, a long-sleeved black dress on top of it. And women remain women. At least I'll be the most beautiful woman tonight, I think to myself sarcastically and giggle, embarrassed by this train of thought. Not difficult when you're the only one.

When my hair is finally dry, I put on my dress. It reaches down to my ankles and has a long slit so that one leg peeks out as I walk. I'm wearing my hair down today. I'm wearing light make-up, but not too much. In normal parties, this would probably be the most boring outfit. Looks like I'm visiting grandma for Christmas, I think to myself. Then I pick up my little bag and step into the hallway. I walk a few steps and Nick comes towards me.

"Holy shit. Butcher!" he says, stopping in front of me, his jaw dropped.

I laugh, a little embarrassed. Most of the time I don't feel like myself in outfits like this. I clear my throat. "Now don't pretend... that... that's nothing."

"Are you kidding me? You look..."

"... It looks incredible," says Liam, who steps out of his door next to me and smiles proudly. Then he and Nick exchange a look that I can't quite interpret.

"Um... thanks, guys. You don't look bad either." I say as I look at their uniforms.

The two of them line up to my left and right and our arms intertwine. "Gentlemen." I say playfully, lifting my chin.

"My lady." they both reply, grinning. Then we giggle and walk towards the sports hall where the event is taking place.

When we arrive at the event, I see that there are more people there than expected. I recognize some of them, most of them from Task Force 141.

We enter the sports hall where we were practising self-defense two hours ago and take a quick look around. Wow. Now that's what I call... changeable. A small stage has been set up with a lectern on it. In the rest of the hall there is a buffet and several tables where about 6 people can sit per table. The most important people sit near the stage, us rookies in the back. Many members of the task force have already taken their seats and there are lots of voices echoing through the large open space. I try not to look around too much as I don't want to bump into König or Ghost. I want to enjoy the evening and have fun with my new friends. Nothing and nobody should stand in my way.

"Hey Butcher! We're sitting over here!" says Liam as he gently guides me by the crook of my arm to our table. I sit next to him, Nick and other three rookies I know quite well by now.

"Whoever planned this, well done." I say with a smile as I look to Nick, knowing he was involved in the planning. He grins back.

The event begins and some important people give speeches about the cohesion in the military, thanking them for successful missions and motivating them for a healthy and successful future.

Shortly afterwards, dinner is served by a catering company. There is meatloaf and a drink of your choice. Meatloaf... great. I hate this food. We also have a bottle of red wine and champagne placed on the table. Sometimes you gotta spoil yourself, I think with a smile.