chapter 13 - a pleasant event

Ghost's POV

König and I are sitting at our table with a few other members of the task force. We're listening to the others talking, not interested in joining in ourselves. I suddenly hear a very familiar giggle. I turn my head slightly towards the entrance of the hall and see Anja, accompanied by two other rookies. Holy Mother Mary... I swallow and my hand, which was lying casually on the table a moment ago, turns into a fist. König notices this and looks in the same direction as me.

"Fuck me." I hear him say lightly next to me. Is he turned on or has he forgotten that she'll be here too?

We both watch her take her seat and if I didn't know better, I'd bet a thousand pounds that we're both looking at her perfect little ass. I groan softly and realize this very quickly and try to cover it up by clearing my throat.

Fortunately, the first speaker of the evening begins his speech and all eyes turn to the stage. Anja is sitting to our right and further back in the room so that she is facing the stage. We are sitting to the side of the stage so that we can look straight at Anja without her noticing. I smile at this fact under my mask. Because even if it's not helpful for this whole ignoring thing, I really enjoy it.

After the speeches are over and dinner has been served, everyone starts to eat. Our table neighbors are busy talking about all sorts of things. König and I eat the meatloaf served to us and drink a beer each. Hmmm, my favorite meal. Suddenly I hear König choking next to me. I look at him, confused.

"Dude, are you okay?" I ask, irritated.

He swallows hard, takes a sip of his beer and gestures with a slight nod over to Anja's table. My gaze follows and what I see is like a wet dream come to life.

Anja has been drinking wine and a drop escapes the left corner of her mouth. Instead of wiping it away, she laughs with the others and searches for a napkin. The drop runs down her chin, over her jaw and slowly makes its way down her delicate throat.

"F-fuck..." I moan quietly from under my mask.

König is also watching her with a "Holy mother of God, this is the hottest shit I've ever seen" look on his face. I can't believe what I've just seen. I'm hard and pulsing in my pants. No woman has had this effect on me for a long time. When Anja finally wipes away the drop and continues to laugh amusedly with the other rookies, König breaks our shock-induced silence.

"So... that was the hottest shit I've seen today." he swallows. "Or this month." A few seconds pass. "No, this year."

"Definitely this year," I say seriously, trying to regain control of my body.

"Have you seen how fucking pale her skin is in contrast to that black dress? And holy... her hair. That's a whole other level."

I groan, feeling something like jealousy over the fact that he's already been able to kiss her. That she's kissed him. That he's looking at her and most likely sharing my thoughts. "Her body is just..." Suddenly, I'm interrupted by a loud clearing of the throat behind me and König.

Our boss is suddenly standing behind us with his arms crossed. As we turn towards him in our chairs, I notice how his gaze swings from Anja's direction to ours. "Gentlemen," he begins sarcastically, "I hope you're not losing your head over a woman."

König and I look at him and I swear we blush. Thank God we're wearing masks. How embarrassing.

Suddenly König blurts out. "N-no sir! We were just having a professional conversation about work, not women. We're definitely not losing our heads over any of the rookies-" he begins, but is interrupted again by our boss

He had put on a serious and cold look. He's not going to joke around. "I doubt that. I could see you halfway across the room. You two are acting like two horny teenagers. It's almost cute."

König and I swallow in sync. Our boss sighs in annoyance and walks away, hoping he has distracted us from our thoughts. When he's far enough away, König and I can't help but burst out laughing. König pats me on the shoulder, laughing, and I shake my head, rubbing my forehead with two fingers. How unpleasantly amusing.

When I look at Anja, our eyes meet. "König, I don't think the ignoring method is working," I say seriously after we've calmed down.

König, who is still chewing a bite of food, looks at me in confusion. Then he turns his gaze to her too and she looks back and forth between the two of us, looking thoughtful. Smile, goddamn it. Please. I need to see your smile. Then she turns away. Shit. "I think she hates us for ignoring her," I say sternly.

König gives me a "you don't say" look and says, visibly annoyed, "Thanks for the information, Sherlock."