chapter 2 - gym encounter

Three days pass quickly and I have already gotten used to my new surroundings. The other rookies are nice, but - once again - I'm the only woman. Sometimes that's annoying. But somehow I'm used to it by now. I've always been quick-witted and could look after myself. Even as a child, I had more male friends than female ones. I guess some things never change.

Tempest by the band Deftones is blaring through my headphones in my ears as I start my warm-up on the treadmill in the basecamp's gym. My hair is back in a ponytail, I'm wearing a black hoodie, black leggings, tennis socks and a pair of Converse Chucks. In front of me is a huge mirror that takes up the whole wall. This allows me to keep an eye on the whole gym while I run. I warm up and enjoy the fact that everyone in the gym is looking after themselves and no one is staring. When I've finished my warm-up, I change equipment and sit down on the weight bench to lift a few individual weights and strengthen my arm muscles. I'm lost in thought as I listen to the music and watch myself in the mirror, so I don't notice that I barely have any strength left in my left arm. The barbell falls to the floor and I grimace, embarrassed by the loud noise. As I bend to the side to pick it up again, I hear a dark, calm and serious voice next to me.

"Hey, rookie. Easy. I'm not in the mood for us to have one less strength in the first week due to arrogance.," says the man suddenly standing next to me.

I look up at him. Wow, he's easily over two meters tall, isn't he? He's wearing a mask that looks like a black T-shirt and has holes cut into his eyes with bleached tear-like stains underneath. Masks are common in the task force. Many want to remain anonymous. Still, it's always a bit scary. He also wears an olive green shirt and black sweatpants and a pair of black Vans.

I blush and nod. "Oh scheiße." I say in German, completely surprised by the situation. His eyes flash when he hears me speak. "Um I mean, sorry, won't happen again," I say awkwardly.

He nods and walks away. I take a deep breath. "Well, that started well." I say quietly to myself as I pick up the barbell and continue training with my right arm. I sink back into my thoughts. So that was definitely not a rookie... Maybe a lieutenant? I ponder. I don't know. Hopefully he's not a direct superior. I think to myself, hoping that this embarrassing encounter was the first and last.