chapter 5 - impressive

Sniper training is on the agenda after breakfast. Today we'll be shooting at moving targets and trying to get the best possible shot. I'm really looking forward to it, as shooting is my specialty.

We enter the training hall and I quickly realize that we will be shooting individually and one after the other. It makes me a little nervous, but I'm too confident with my skill to let the nervousness win out. As we sit down on the bench, Lieutenant Ghost steps in front of us. He has a very dominant and serious demeanor. As if he's annoyed at having to brief us.

He sighs. "Okay... rookies." he says with a degrading tone, as if we're a laughing stock. "Today: sniper training. Everyone has three shots. Either you hit it or you fuck it up. Your choice. But you'd better pull yourselves together and do what I fucking said. Understand?" he says with a thick British accent. I swallow, a little intimidated by his demeanor. He steps aside and stands against the wall, his hands in his pockets. König is now standing next to him, his hands on his hips. This sight... I think to myself, amused. The left corner of my mouth twitches and it seems as if it doesn't go unnoticed.

"Hey, you! You start." Ghost says with a stern tone.

My smirk disappears immediately and I nod. I look at him and notice König nudging Ghost lightly with his elbow. What the hell? Liam gives me another encouraging pat on the shoulder as I stand up and approach the shooting range. I take the sniper in my hands and start aiming at the paper target, which is moving from side to side at an irregular speed.

After two or three seconds, I fire once. Bang. Shoulder. Shit. You can do better than that. Second shot. Bang. Rib area, left side of the victim. Better. Third and last shot. Bang. ... Head shot. I smile. Hell yeah. Suddenly I hear loud clapping and as I turn around, I see the other rookies visibly astonished by my performance. König claps his hands too. Ghost next to him nods once towards me. It seems as if he hadn't expected it. I'm pleased with the subtle gesture of appreciation and nod to him too. Then I sit down with the others.

During the training session, I discover individual weaknesses and strengths in the other rookies. As soon as the training is over, we leave the hall and go back to the accommodation and I take a shower. Then I go to my room.