chapter 8 - oops

"Nothing! Nothing... forget what I said," I say nervously.

"Anja. Speak up." he says sternly as he stands close to me and looks down at me from above.

"I... I accidentally overheard a conversation between you and Lieutenant Ghost..." I say nervously and ashamed. I can see in his eyes that he doesn't find it funny at all. His mask makes it hard for me to read his emotions.

"So, what came of it?" he asks challengingly.

I laugh nervously. "König... that... I..." I stammer. I stammer?!

"Yes? I hear?" he says as he takes another step towards me. Our bodies are almost touching. My heart is beating like crazy and my breathing is getting stronger.

I sigh. "Scheiße," I swear in German. "I heard you guys talking about me. I don't know what it was about exactly, but Lieutenant Ghost told you to stay away from me. From rookies in general. That it would only get you into trouble." I answer quietly and without looking at him.

He looks at me and for a few seconds. I have no idea whether he's angry, amused or relieved. "Good, then you know about everything." he says briefly and dryly.

"W-what?" I ask, confused. "No... to be honest, I don't think I," I begin, but am interrupted.

"Hm? What do you think?" he asks as he takes my chin between his index finger and thumb and tilts it up so that I look him in the eye. Fuck. "That I like you? That I'm attracted to you? That I think you're so damn hot and I can't keep my eyes off you?" he asks. That's definitely amusement in his voice. He's playing a game and it's checkmate.

I swallow and he sees it, his eyes flashing as he looks to my throat and watches the small movement. I nod, far too shy to respond. I'm usually so quick-witted, what's wrong with me?

He smiles underneath that mask. "So, what are you going to do with this information?" he asks teasingly.

"König, I-I..." I stammer. "Nothing at all. I'd almost forgotten again. I didn't want to-" then I'm speechless. What didn't I want? Confront him about it? I lick my lower lip. Kiss him? Fuck hi-... Oh God. Yes, that's exactly what I want. I can see in his eyes that he's smiling again.

"Cat got your tongue?" he asks mischievously. "I think you do want to," he says as he leans down towards me.

Fuck. And how I want to. I think to myself. I lift part of his mask and his mouth is revealed. Holy shit. Those lips... I smile and before I can think about it, König puts a hand on my cheek and pulls me to him. Our lips collide in a warm, hungry kiss.