Chapter 28: Marigold

But there is a light
In the dark, and I feel its warmth
In my hands and my heart
Why can't I hold on?
It comes and goes in waves
It always does

1994~Lafayette, Louisiana

A young woman walked through the fair in town, holding her five year olds hand in hers. He looked all around, his eyes shinning brightly as he looked at all the lights around him.

It smelled like cotton candy and kettle corn through the night sky. Screams of laughter sounded through their ears as well as side conversations as they passed by people.

"Mommy! Carousel!" The boy jumped, his hand tightening on hers from his movements.

His mother laughed, a wide smile on her lips as she nodded. "Yes, yes. I remember. I have to buy us some tickets. Come on". They made their way to the ticket booth. Once they arrived, she let go of his hand and reached into her purse.

"How much for the carousel?" She asked the man behind the ticket booth.

"It would be $2 each but I recommend..."

The man's voice trailed off to the five year old boy. He stood by his mothers side, looking down at her pretty white and red heels that she wore. He then looked to the crowd of people and a man caught his eye.

The man was looking right back at him.

The man held a pink cotton candy stick in his hand. The man pointed to it and then to the boy. The boy smiled widely and nodded his head.

The man gestured for him to come over.

The boy did.

"Hey, kid". The man greeted with a smile.

"Hi". The boy greeted shyly.

"Say". The man handed the boy the cotton candy. The boy immediately started to pull it apart and eat it. "You're one of those kids that was born on October 1, 1989. Right?" He asked. "I read about it in the newspaper".

The boy nodded. "Uh-huh". The boy said.

"You have a power?" The man asked.

"Uh-huh".

"Thought so". The man grinned menacingly and then grabbed the kids hand, the cotton candy fell from the boys hand. "Hey! Let go!" The boy tried to get out of the man's grip as the two walked further into the crowd. "Don't worry, kid. My friend here is going to take you on the carousel".

"Here". The man passed the boy to a woman. "Take the kid. I'll deal with the mother".

The woman grabbed the boys hand and started to walk further away from the ticket booth. The boy excited to go on the ride.

"Alright, I have the-" The mother stopped as she saw her son was no longer there. She looked around, panic now striking her.

"Thomas!"

"Thomas!" She shouted and started to walk, looking everywhere. "Has anyone seen my son?" She asked. Her heart pounding in her chest. How stupid she felt. She only looked away for a few minutes but how could she know?

"Thomas!"

"Ma'am. My wife found your son, he is over here". The man walks up to her.

"Oh, thank goodness". She breathed out.

"Follow me". He led her through the crowd to one of the exits of the park which was empty.