Chapter 22: The End of Something

2006

2006

Esme sat on the edge of her windowsill, looking out the window blankly.  Her empty eyes watched the white flakes gently coat the ground.  There wasn't a sound to be heard, well...to her there wasn't.  Esme was in her own little world.

"Esme...Esme."  Diego stood a few feet behind her, trying to get his sister to get out of her own head.

The loss of their brother was weighing on everyone heavily, no child their age should be going through what these children went through.  What they're still going through.

Diego walked closer to Esme then took a seat next to her on the windowsill.  Tears slowly made his way to his eyes, he didn't try to fight them away.  He was grieving and maybe this time he will allow himself to cry.

"Come back Esme."  Diego pleaded, grabbing her hand gently.

"Come back!"  He said louder, his voice cracking.

Esme's little switch in her head seemed to come back on, she blinked a few times before tightening her grip on her brothers hand and placing her other on top of his.

"Hello, brother."  Esme gave him a small smile.

Diego felt his tears leave his cheeks and fall beneath him and he looked to her, tears still swimming in his eyes.

"It'll be okay."  Esme reassured him and he shook his head.

"How?"  He croaked.

"You just have to believe." 

Diego looked out the window, then looked back at her, his eyes were now red and his cheeks were wet from the salty tears that he once shed.  His lips parted and he just looked at her.

"I gave up believing a long time ago."

The Hargreeves siblings made their way to the back, each carrying an umbrella above them. All except Esme who was huddled under with Diego who had a secured arm around her.

Esme stopped having her own little umbrella at an early age. She thought it was more fun to share one with someone. Saying, "it brings two people closer together" and it always stuck. She would take turns with going under her siblings umbrellas, but she was mostly under Diego or Bens...well. Guess just Diego now.

The family looked at the small coffin that sat in the middle. Esme couldn't stop looking at it. Her brother was in there. But she reassured herself that his soul wasn't. Just his body now. Small. Small. Small. That's all that repeated in her head.

No coffin should ever be made that small.

Diego looked to his right, where Mom was standing. He could see the sorrow in her eyes as well, he then went back and looked at the coffin.