Prologue

"I don't want to do it again

"I don't want to do it again." Fourteen year old Esme pleaded as she was sitting in a chair a few feet across from her father.

"Number Zero. You must and you will. If you can't control it. They'll control you." Reginald almost yelled at her.

"Again!"  He leaned back in his chair as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Please no. Please-"  she got cut off by him continuing, the words pulling him back into her trance.

"You are walking through a forest." 

When she blinked she was no longer in the large room, she was in a forest. The forest that haunts her.

"The grass is dead. The trees are dying."

She turned her head quickly as she heard footsteps getting closer to her.

She took rigid breaths before she made a run for it, her bare feet hitting against the dry grass and the dead leaves as she continued to run, but it seems that she doesn't make any progress. All she can see is trees.

"In the distance you see a cabin."

She stopped running and looked straight ahead seeing the cabin.

"Go in it."

She shook her head and she backed up a bit.

"I don't want too."  She spoke out loud.

"Go in it."

She shook her head again.

"Please I don't want too."  She backed up some more.

"Go in it!" 

She let out a small whimper as her feet dragged to the cabin and she placed her hand on the door pushing it open as it creaked.

She looked at the dark room, there was nothing inside.  She stepped inside as the door slammed shut behind her and her breathing began to quicken.

She took a few calm breaths as she walked in the middle of the room.

"You've been there before."

She looked around some more as she parted her lips a bit.

"You've been there before"

"I've been here before."  She whispered to herself and she felt herself get slammed to the wall.

She let out a painful groan as a hand gripped around her neck as she looked at the face in front of her.

"Hello Esme."  The voice spoke delicately as a smirk played on his lips.

"No. No."  She shook her head, trying to get out of his grip.

"Welcome back child. Missed me?"  His black eyes pierced into her hazel ones.

"Didn't you miss all of us?"  He leaned into her ear as he whispered it then pulled away.

More figured behind him appeared all with smirks on their faces, the only thing that could be seen through the darkness were their shiny white teeth and their red, white eyes, or even the small glimmer of the ones that had black eyes.

His grip on her neck tightened as she moved her head to the side, squeezing her eyes shut.

"FATHER PLEASE HELP ME!"  She shouted.

"No one can help you dear Esme."  The man spoke to her.

"FATHER!"  She shouted again as the man kept his grip on her, slamming her into the wall.

Out of her trance Reginald sat calmly in his chair while Number 1, Luther, and Number 2, Diego were holding Esme down in the chair as she thrashed around screaming, her lungs out.

"Dad!"  Diego shouted at him, as he turned his head towards him.

"Fine."  Reginald rolled his eyes.

"Esme you are out of the cabin and out of the forest.  You are back in your chair."  He spoke louder over her screams.

After she heard that, her eyes cleared and she calmed down, breathing heavily as she saw she was back in her home.

More tears ran down her cheek as Reginald made his way out of the room and Luther let go of her and followed after his father.

"You're okay."  Diego whispered to her as he wrapped his arms around her, as she rested her  head against his chest, letting her tears fall down her cheeks.

"You're okay now Esme."  He reassured her one more time as she continued to cry.

**Fan of The Maze Runner?
Check out my other fanfic: "The Sacrifice"**