Chapter 10: I Heard a Rumor

You know how when you're dreaming and you step in the deep end of a lake and you fall down?  You feel yourself sinking deeper, you can't pull yourself to the surface

You know how when you're dreaming and you step in the deep end of a lake and you fall down?  You feel yourself sinking deeper, you can't pull yourself to the surface. It's as if you forgot how to swim. You scream trying to reach to grab onto something, but nothing.  There's always someone above the shore looking down at you. You scream again, trying to grab onto them.  But they do nothing.  All they do is watch you sink deeper and deeper.

That's how Esme felt.

Two hands grabbed Esme under her arms and yanked her out of the water and onto the dirt. Esme started to breath out heavily as she looked up at the surroundings around her.

"You Alright?" A voice asked her and a face hovered over her. Not just any face.

Iylas' face.

"Iyla?" She questioned and he smiled to her.

"Yeah. It's me." 

She started to sit up and he moved out of the way. She turned to him and quickly through her arms around him. He was shocked at first, but a small grin appeared on his lips and he wrapped his arms around her.

She pulled away and looked at her surroundings then to Iyla once more.

"Where are we?" She questioned.

"Purgatory." Iyla said.

She looked at him shocked. How did she get to Purgatory? The bigger question is why? She's not a demon or a creature.

"I honestly don't know. But something tells me that Lucifer put you here, because the world is ending in a few days and he wants you safe." Iyla explained.

"Safe? This place isn't safe for me." She almost shouted and Iyla held his hand out, trying to calm her down.

"I know. I know." He breathed out.

"I love you Iyla, but I would rather be with my family then here." She told him calmly.

"I know." He said almost in a whisper.

"How does time work here?" She asked.

"Like how your brother time traveled. It seems longer here, but for everyone else it's normal." She nodded her head at his answer.

"I'll help you get out of here. But it's going to take awhile." He turned to her and she gave him a small smile.

"How long will it take?"

2 Years Purgatory Time Later...

"Come back here girl. I just want to hurt you. A lot."  A werewolf stalked after Esme as she continued to run through the woods.

Esme quickly hid behind a tree and grabbed her knife. She breathed out heavily as her hand gripped the handle of the knife harder.

She heard the footsteps getting closer and quickly turned around and slammed the blade in the werewolf's chest.

The man looked down at the knife then his red eyes looked to her.

An annoyed sigh left his lips as he simply pulled it out.  His red blood staining the knife.

"You really thought that was going to work?"  He questioned and a small smirk appeared on her face.

"No. I'm just the distraction."  She said.

The werewolf gave her a confused look and before he could do anything else Iyla was immediately behind him.

Iyla glared at the back of the werewolf's head and slammed his hand through its chest.

The werewolf gasped as blood trickled from his lips. Iyla twisted his hand a bit before yanking it back out, his heart in his hand as he watched the werewolf slump to the ground.

Iyla crushed the heart in his hand as it turned to black dust.  When he opened up his hand the dust fell down and into the wind.

"You Alright?"  Iyla asked Esme and she gave him a small nod.

"Good." 

The two sat around the campfire they made.  The fire crackling once in awhile.

"Are we almost there?"  Esme asked as Iyla poked the logs with a stick.

"We're getting close.  Should be there by tomorrow."  He answered as he stuck the stick down.

"Will you come with me?"  She asked from across the fire.

He looked up and looked at her.  His dark eyes meeting her light blue ones.

"I don't know Esme."  He answered honestly.

She frowned a bit and stood up, making her way over to him.  She gently sat down next to him.

"Why?"  She asked and he didn't say anything.

"I know it's easy for you to get out of Purgatory. You do it all the time.  The only reason why it's harder this time is because it takes a certain place for a human to get back."  She explained and he gave her a short nod.

"I have some unfinished business here I need to take care of first."  He answered.

She didn't say anything.  She didn't know what to say to that.

"I promise that I'll see you before your world ends."  He turned his head to her and a smile played on her lips.

"I know."  She told him softly.

"I'm going to get some rest now.  Thank you Iyla."  She kissed his cheek before laying her head down on her jacket.

"For what?"  He looked down at her.

"For being a friend."  She smiled and closed her eyes.

Iyla continued to look at Esme.  The girl that he admired for years.  He finally tore his eyes off of her and looked at the flames.  He only wished that she could truly be his.